Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Best School For Ifr Training

Bif

Thinking it's about time to start looking at getting IFR trained, as I close in on my first 1,000 hrs.

So, what school do you recommend the most for IFR training? Where would be the best "bang-for-your-buck"?

Let's keep the options to BC and AB if you don't mind :)

If it makes any difference, I have 206 experience but have never flown a robby...

Cheers,

Bif

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mountain View Helicopters at CYBW has an IFR program. They have a FlyIt simulator and an R44 set up for instrument training, but outside of that I don't know much about any instrument stuff, so I can't speak to the 'bang-for-your-buck'. Might want to give 'em a ring anyways...

Best of luck in your IFR training!

- Darren

Puts on Helmet...

I went down to the states to do mine, much much much cheaper.

I've heard this is a decent option... what did you have to do to take the course down south? Do you need your FAA conversion, and so what's involved?

Daz, I'll look into Mtn View. One question I have though, do I have to get rated on the 44 to do the training? Or since there's an instructor with you on all IFR flights, do they forego the actual need for an endorsement?

I did my training at Red Eagle Aviation in Kalispell Mt. They now have an office at Springbank in Calgary and offer the USA rates to do FAA or TCC ratings. They fly Schwiezer 300 CBI's, Jet Ranger, Enstrom. and MD 500. Check out the web page www.redeagleaviation.com. Call them. You can convert your licencse to USA easily and fly in the states or just go to Calgary and fly there. You can also rent the heli's and go for a picnic! You got to check out the rates. :)post-7167-1288120810_thumb.jpg

Guy

I did my training at Red Eagle Aviation in Kalispell Mt. They now have an office at Springbank in Calgary and offer the USA rates to do FAA or TCC ratings. They fly Schwiezer 300 CBI's, Jet Ranger, Enstrom. and MD 500. Check out the web page www.redeagleaviation.com. Call them. You can convert your licencse to USA easily and fly in the states or just go to Calgary and fly there. You can also rent the heli's and go for a picnic! You got to check out the rates. :)post-7167-1288120810_thumb.jpg

Guy

iiiiiinteresting :)

I wonder what machine their IFR is on? Judging by the cost breakdown, I'd say it's on the 300. Which is convenient, as I learned on a Schweizer!

500 endorsements too, hey? hmmm

And you say they actually rent machines? Very interesting :)

Another place to look at in BC is Heli-College in Langley.

I did mine with Pro IFR at Boundary Bay and wasn't thrilled with their service. Pro lets you do 15 of the 20 flight hours in a Cessna which saves huge money (don't need a fixed wing licence either) but because Pro is mainly a fixed wing school, the heli guys get treated like dirt.

Their IFR seminars on the other hand are awesome and highly recommended.

I realize that you would like a school in the west however I would be remiss if I did not mention Central Helicopter Training in St Thomas Ontario. We use a Sagem glass cockpit raven II or traditional steam gauges in raven I. We have a flyit simulator and a full ground school given in a smart board environment. You would also be able to do the hours on a cessna 172 at the fixed wing school on the field. We can arrange accomations local to the airport and even get you here daily to save on expenses.