Maintenance Extensions

Common reasons for an extension are for unforeseen delays in getting an overhauled component due to lack of parts or other issue.

I don't really see the economic benefit except if you need 10 more hours to finish that fire contract.

You aren't really getting "more for your buck" if the component as a 2500 hr overhaul and 90 percent of the parts retire at 5000 hrs.

You have to do two overhauls over the 5000 hours anyways.

weather they are at 2600 and 5000 instead of the proper 2500 and 5000 is really no difference in cost over the life of the component.

Extensions (Tolerances) are covered in the CARs via the Approved Maintenance Schedule, which every commercial operator must have in place. If your MSA has tolerances to the intervals in it, Transport Canada has put their stamp on it, and your MCM outlines the process, you're good to go within the parameters stated in the MSA. Your C of A is still in force, you are legal, the insurance is still in effect. Some MCM's are worded with restrictions based on someone's opinion (but that's foolish to include).

Extensions are merely another tool which is used for maintenance planning. There is nothing in the CARs restricting how much, or how often they may be used, nothing about economics either. Once the MSA is approved, that's the guideline. TC cannot penalize you for using an approved MSA. Period. Some TC inspectors throw the BS out there about using them too much, but have they tried to yank an OC based on using an approved MSA? Not as far as I'm aware. Has TC unapproved an MSA that was utilized per the contents that they approved? Not as far as I'm aware.

I maintained three 206's (2 - 206B & 1 L-3) two seasons ago on my own for 1400 hours over 4 months including 2 compressor changes, 1 turbine, 1 transmission, a swashplate, accessory gearbox repair, and a freewheel. Without using extensions on almost all the inspections and component changes, I wouldn't have been able to keep them all in the air to meet Ops requirements. Yes, the inspections were proper ones, with no short cuts taken. :)

I was audited right after the season slowed, and of course TC commented during the audit of the extensive use of tolerances, I showed them the MSA which they approved, all tolerances were certified in accordance with the MCM, no AD intervals were exceeded. They triple checked the math and...nothing further was said. :D

One thing people don't use enough are the 150hr engine inspection intervals. If you use that then your work load and costs will decrease. Some people say they don't then they can let the machine run for a 100hrs without needing an engineer, which doesn't cost as much. If you do the math, you'll save in the long run and the ship will be in much better shape.

Common reasons for an extension are for unforeseen delays in getting an overhauled component due to lack of parts or other issue.

I don't really see the economic benefit except if you need 10 more hours to finish that fire contract.

You aren't really getting "more for your buck" if the component as a 2500 hr overhaul and 90 percent of the parts retire at 5000 hrs.

You have to do two overhauls over the 5000 hours anyways.

weather they are at 2600 and 5000 instead of the proper 2500 and 5000 is really no difference in cost over the life of the component.

Say you have a component that has a 5000 hr life and a 2500 overhaul. It gets removed at 2300 hours for overhaul due to excessive leaking. Now its next overhaul is at 4800 hrs and its life is still 5000 hrs. Will you send it away at 4800 or put it on extension to finish its life? One overhaul on its way to 5000 hrs.

Say you have a component that has a 5000 hr life and a 2500 overhaul. It gets removed at 2300 hours for overhaul due to excessive leaking. Now its next overhaul is at 4800 hrs and its life is still 5000 hrs. Will you send it away at 4800 or put it on extension to finish its life? One overhaul on its way to 5000 hrs.

I guess if you had excessive leaking that wasn't just a seal or something field replaceable then ya that would be an economic reason. You would be crazy not to avoid retiring anything early.

But you still have the same cost over the retirement life. You are just gaining back the ground you lost.

My point is beyond ops convenience, you can't really "Make" money with extensions.