Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Paying For Company Training

Food for tinking aboot:

If and only if we had a viable association, this is an item that good be addressed by the assoc.

We would in all likely hood have an employment section for pilots governed by a section of peers who will require pilots provided with training to remain with said company for X time period and being paid in accordance with industry standards.

Posibilities are-unlimited.

Cheers, Don

I agree that an association of some type would help.

It's one thing for an employer to ask that the pilot signs a "bond" where after two years she/he is free to go. It's another asking said pilot to pay outright for the rating.

Bonds are fairly standard these days in FW, and they are usually pro-rated over the life of the PPC. 5k over 2 year, you leave after one, they want 2500. Many people sign these thngs, but as one other posted said, they don't mean a thing in court. I haven't heard of one case where a departing employee has been made o pay.

Where the slope gets slippery however, is when the employer co-signs a loan with the pilot for X amount, and then the employer pays it back with interest over the life of the PPC. If the pilot leaves, he still is responsable for the loan and the employer stops paying - seen that one played out a few times.

There needs to be some security for the company, as many pilots depart soon after getting typed on something. I guess with rotary the numbers are smaller on average than FW,(not including S76, S61, Puma etc) but I do see their point. In a perfect world, company and employee whould treat eachother well and we wouldn't have this issue. Not a perfect world!

But having deparate low-time guys pay for an initial endorsment is wrong. Those that do, contribute to the problem, because as we all know there are 100 guys waiting that first job.

AR

But companies fly different machines, and they make money out of you. Type ratings should be the "cost of doing business" (they are tax-deductible) - and what's wrong with companies trying to make people want to stay in order to recoup their investment? Most of them seem bent on trying to chase you off.

Phil

The way I read it, AR, that's what Phil said/meant - it's the company's CODB. Also agree with Phil about using some kind of incentive to have people stay with you. Let's face it - what percentage of us is motivated by anything other than selfish considerations? Truthfully, now. I like to see myself in the smaller group - until my family's welfare and my personal survival are jeoparized - then I'll be as 'selfish' as anyone.

As the man said, "Perception is everything." Most of what we read on this forum would suggest that operators are perceived to be selfish, money-grubbing culls. Interestingly, though, that if they become operators (as so many have) their perceptions change drastically. Once they have to deal with the economics of the business first-hand, and 'manage' pilots and engineers as owners, it's a horse of one **** of a different color. If you don't believe it, try it. I'd love to hear from you then.

This all ain't a problem with the good companies anyway. If you're treated right, you're going to stay anyway. I know of many good companies out there in F/W and R/W land, that give engine courses and endorsements on various types of a/c and you sign "diddley" nor is it expected. Midwest (of the Jim McBride era) found out the hard way through the courts that it "don't fly" anyway. I got more than one endorsement and I signed nothing for any of them nor would I have done so.....and I didn't leave those companies after receiving same either. I believe that I am also speaking for a large host of others in the aviation world.

Downwash ------what happened....did your laptop "crash"? We should discuss this item over another good steak sometime. ;)

"This all ain't a problem..." Kee-rist, Cap, whose posts are you modeling now?!?!?! ;)

No, the old Dell is just getting as tired as me, and on a different schedule, too. Actually, like a few other earlier members, I've deliberately stayed away for periods, Cappie, because the content gets pretty tedious at times. Reinventing the wheel is one thing, but character assassination and outright threats are intolerable to my way of thinking. Enjoy popping in, though, and finding the occasional quality discussion. Your comments are always enjoyable, pal.

Downwash ---- Ya, I see what you mean. It would appear that I got "my mix all talked-up" there. I can straighten that problem out with some Glenlivet "toute suite".

I agree about the "character assassination" also.............. it's much more fun to do it in person if one feels they must. Oh and by the way.......I never realized that you had so much power and could walk on water. I remember when you used to "hobble" on water with some swearing as you went on your way. :D Sorry bud, I just couldn't resist that for the life of me. I don't know if you could make one good spine by taking all our good parts and trying to build a new one. :P

Got invited out to a Halloween "bash" for Halloween night and didn't know how I should dress-up. Number 1 son said I already had my costume "in-house". I asked him what he meant and he said "Dad, just go as an over-the hill, "washed-up" pilot ....you even got the cap and headphones to make the costume"( I raised a smart-*** you see). Guess what company I'm representing? :lol: Stay well bud.