Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Super Puma Tips Over At Boundary Bay

I'm curious though, how many pilots in the S64 for a ground run? We only needed one for the 61N and 61L.

RH

The crane is a two pilot ship even for ground runs.....too many things can go wrong especially after maintenance...!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fine fellows that are authorized at Cougar go through an intense training regime at Flight Safety International in the Level D simulator. There is very little that they don't know how to respond to after that. Being used to the night shift, they will very likely be safer at the controls than some poor sap of a driver that got a phone call at 23:30 to come in for 0100 when he thought he had the next day off duty.

Been there and have the T-shirt.

Interesting---Thanks

For all the Monday morning quarterbacks...

"Forward servo found in fully extended position with flight controls neutral or flat pitch. This would cause uncommanded right and rear roll moment."

Good thing this happened on the ground.

Hence the very good reason for ground runs with the rotor turning.

The crane is a two pilot ship even for ground runs.....too many things can go wrong especially after maintenance...!!!

The Chinook is also a 2-pilot (and at least one flight engineer) machine, including ground runs. There are a number of primary and major secondary controls that either couldn't be reached by a single pilot, or would require two pilots to react sufficiently quickly to deal with an emergency.

Glad that there were no injuries sustained by the MTP!

Regards

AV8

For all the Monday morning quarterbacks...

"Forward servo found in fully extended position with flight controls neutral or flat pitch. This would cause uncommanded right and rear roll moment."

Good thing this happened on the ground.

I'm not endorsed on the Puma at all, but this makes me wonder if this is a post accident indication.

I am pretty certain that the flight controls are mechanical thru this aircraft as many are, so to be maintaining flat pitch/neutral, the servo's would show the same unless they were damaged in the rollover. A servo pilot valve going into a runaway condition would still move the controls unless it was uncoupled (ie from a maintenance action or a failure)

I'd be curious to know the result of that finding...it just doesn't sit well with me on a mechanical level. doesn't seem right.