Super Puma Tips Over At Boundary Bay

I'm not endorsed on the Puma at all, but this makes me wonder if this is a post accident indication.

I am pretty certain that the flight controls are mechanical thru this aircraft as many are, so to be maintaining flat pitch/neutral, the servo's would show the same unless they were damaged in the rollover. A servo pilot valve going into a runaway condition would still move the controls unless it was uncoupled (ie from a maintenance action or a failure)

I'd be curious to know the result of that finding...it just doesn't sit well with me on a mechanical level. doesn't seem right.

I was wondering the same thing......what about the autopilot system on the L1? Does it have full authority? Could it have drove the servo without the controls following?

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

View PostRotorhead, on 06 January 2011 - 06:05 PM, said:

For all the Monday morning quarterbacks...

"Forward servo found in fully extended position with flight controls neutral or flat pitch. This would cause uncommanded right and rear roll moment."

Good thing this happened on the ground.

RH, "uncommanded right and rear roll".....the a/c is lying on its LEFT side....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering the same thing......what about the autopilot system on the L1? Does it have full authority? Could it have drove the servo without the controls following?

RH, "uncommanded right and rear roll".....the a/c is lying on its LEFT side....

Yes, I asked the same question. That was a direct quote. He meant the disc lifted on the right side (gyroscopic precession on a french machine would explain that). A clockwise rotation and the forward servo driving up...

The fine fellows at the TSB in Richmond are on it. Their 332 pilot has been off with a hip replacement so he'll be busy on his return to the office.

A friend of mine here on the East Coast born around 1970 has just had a hip replacement. The one I mention in the TSB was a training captain on the 332, 214 and the 61 for Okanagan back in the day when many of these forum members were still watching a new episode of Airwolf. He's also a former Australian rugby player who races his two very high end sports cars.

The reason someone like that is at the TSB is because he has the experience and knowledge to back it up.

Still laughing, genius?

This forum is reducing itself to the likes of justhelicopters or pprune. I've seen a lot of really great people on here since joining the 1998 version that subsequently had a half a dozen name changes. More often lately, the disrespecting lurkers decide to post before really thinking of others.

Sorry,

After a beating over at PPRUNE, I have started deleting posts and trying to stick to friendlier territory.

That TSB fellow is a good buddy of a lot of the "old boys club" here. I am one of the very few that haven't abandoned this forum, yet.

All I thought was how he feels reading your post.

You also might want to review the terms of use here regarding naming of names. Everyone knows who I am anyway so I don't care, but the moderators might.

Have a great weekend.

BGM

Sorry,

After a beating over at PPRUNE, I have started deleting posts and trying to stick to friendlier territory.

That TSB fellow is a good buddy of a lot of the "old boys club" here. I am one of the very few that haven't abandoned this forum, yet.

All I thought was how he feels reading your post.

You also might want to review the terms of use here regarding naming of names. Everyone knows who I am anyway so I don't care, but the moderators might.

Have a great weekend.

BGM

you have a great weekend too. I might be in your neck of the woods this summer. I will pop by for a visit and have some beers.

Apologise on my behalf if your buddy thinks its necessary. Hopefully he's not too upset. On the positive for me...I can outrun him for the time being. :-)

you have a great weekend too. I might be in your neck of the woods this summer. I will pop by for a visit and have some beers.

Apologise on my behalf if your buddy thinks its necessary. Hopefully he's not too upset. On the positive for me...I can outrun him for the time being. :-)

This is true.

I had a really good chat with him last night. He's got a wicked sense of humour so I wouldn't be too surprised if you were him. Send me a PM if we have met before.

BGM