Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Employment Ads

Hazy

This industry has one of the least capable management structures of any industry I've seen - if there's a worse one out there I'd hate to see it. In all my years at this, I have never overcome the shock of seeing how terribly unprepared or trained most CP's and Ops Mgrs are in human resources. Correct who we put in these chairs, correct the problem. However it is much easier said than done with ownership what it is in many circumstances, but not all. I just can't get over the lack of mutual respect in our industry, on all levels.

AR

Totally true! I still cringe at the use of the word "professional" when used to define any action in this industry. Its laughable. As true professionalism is seldom seen. Alot of lip service is paid to ethics, I remember one company I worked for in vancouver that perported "mutual respect" Absolute crap when you call them on it!. The word "Backstabbing" should have been put in its place.

P5

In my experience though only 14 years I see this industry top heavy in the managment department. An experienced pilot is a professional called upon to manage themselves for the most part. The 2 or 3 layers of management above the pilot only serve as a detriment to gainful, respectful and dignified employment. In the past I've been let go for refusing to fly in conditions I deemed to be unsafe, by the time management was finished with it, I "did not have the required skillset for the job" BAH!

Isn't there a Donald Trump quote....along the lines of "in every company there's a guy at the bottom who thinks he could run the company better"?

I don't think thats what we are saying here. MMike when you don't like something at work and you speak up are you led to the filing cabinet and shown a stack of resumes?

I didn't think so but it happens in helicopters for some reason. I've been doing this for some time now and I'm glad I work for a good company but I've seen it far to often guys like Iceman get terminated for refusing unsafe work or standing up to a egotistical douche bag base manager who's daddy paid for his licence.

Isn't that the norm with every company....I know it works at my place...... lol

hey, been there and definetly done that. There is completely nothing wrong with questioning the decisions of others. But, as usual how do we go from here? I have seen folks who have their head up their arse questioning the decisons of qualified pilots who have not been in the position of making a life saving decision say "you bad", I honestly believe that there are few occupations where a decision effecting peoples lives can be made on a day to day occurance be effected by some balsy pilot but yet the management is less than qualified to control these persons unless they too have been in that situation. Can you imagine being questioned by someone otherwise? But, agreeably we do need to try to ensure that is dealt with diplomatically. Today I had an apprentice ask me if we had insurance to cover his $15,000 worth of tools he left on the tail gate and drove down the highway,,,,hmmmmm, yes we do,,,I will call the insurance folks on Tuesday and ask. I think as a pilot we sometimes have to go away and answer not threatening questions slowly and quietly to be an effective manager.

In my experience though only 14 years I see this industry top heavy in the managment department. An experienced pilot is a professional called upon to manage themselves for the most part. The 2 or 3 layers of management above the pilot only serve as a detriment to gainful, respectful and dignified employment. In the past I've been let go for refusing to fly in conditions I deemed to be unsafe, by the time management was finished with it, I "did not have the required skillset for the job" BAH!

Consistancy throughout the messages posted here, this one above included. Its not comming for newbies but from guys that have been around...

Although there could be better channces for Canadians with tighter rules on permits... Its is still going to take some kind of unified voice to finish the job so we see at the very least a code of ethics that enforceable.

P5