Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Employment Ads

Hazy

we are talking of sitting at a wellsite while your customer changes/checks charts are we not?

Actually we are talking about the quantity and possibly the quality of employment ads... but seems like you have a lot on your chest. Wish I could buy you a beer. :D

Actually we are talking about the quantity and possibly the quality of employment ads... but seems like you have a lot on your chest. Wish I could buy you a beer. :D

Am sorry, I do apologize, it seems that my sitting in Stewart last winter over many beers, coffee, pies, lunches, etc, having this same discussion had a lasting effect on my commodore 64 brain,,,,but yes it is very nice to see the amount of ads, and do hope it lasts for everyone to regain a bit from the last few years!

Was not long ago that on this here site the 'loggable' time was up.

There is a Advisory Circular from Transport Canada that defines "FLIGHT TIME" which is what you SHOULD log in your PILOT LOG BOOK, is from when the blades start turning, untill they stop at the end of a flight. Also meaning, that if you start up and shut down but DON'T go flying, you get nothing. "AIR TIME" is what is logged in the machines log book as time towards the next inspection and is considered to be the time spent in the air.

So as long as the machine is running, you get to log flight time. Now sitting in the machine for 15 minutes on the ground is a waste, and I'd rather shut down and save the fuel.

Flight time is what most of companies charge anyway, as well as what students log, and in our case we tack on 0.1 hours to the air time to get flight time, now that is wether you spend 15 minutes on the ground, or just the 6...

Was not long ago that on this here site the 'loggable' time was up.

There is a Advisory Circular from Transport Canada that defines "FLIGHT TIME" which is what you SHOULD log in your PILOT LOG BOOK, is from when the blades start turning, untill they stop at the end of a flight. Also meaning, that if you start up and shut down but DON'T go flying, you get nothing. "AIR TIME" is what is logged in the machines log book as time towards the next inspection and is considered to be the time spent in the air.

So as long as the machine is running, you get to log flight time. Now sitting in the machine for 15 minutes on the ground is a waste, and I'd rather shut down and save the fuel.

Flight time is what most of companies charge anyway, as well as what students log, and in our case we tack on 0.1 hours to the air time to get flight time, now that is wether you spend 15 minutes on the ground, or just the 6...

Without digging up the dead horse carcass, I see flight time with respect to helicopters only if they have wheels.... flight time with skids is too hard on the landing gear

From CARS

"flight time" - means the time from the moment an aircraft first moves under its own power for the purpose of taking off until the moment it comes to rest at the end of the flight

"air time" - means, with respect to keeping technical records, the time from the moment an aircraft leaves the surface until it comes into contact with the surface at the next point of landing;

If you don't have wheels, how can you have flight time ?? The key is 'moves under its own power', Turning blades is not moving the airframe

Sorry for thread drift...

Really to be most accurate you should log 2 things. PIC time is whenever the rotors are turning and you are at the controls as per the ICAO. Flight time is skids free. This on the ground PIC time can be added to your total time, but flight time is what counts as helicopter experience. Flight time is what should go in the journey log. Then there is revenue time which might be whatever is negotiated with the customer.

Personally if I'm pulling pitch I consider that flight time. Holding the machine on tricky spots is more crucial than straight and level flight. The collective is up the hobbs is ticking, just don't abuse it. Milking the hobbs is a good way to piss off and lose customers.

Or just keep it simple and add one tenth like Winnie does.