Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Employment Ads

Hazy

Just to 'rouse the sleeping dragon.

Today I became a LANDED IMMIGRANT and I can now take ALL your jobs! lol

Cheers

W.

Congratulations! :up:

• 2 weeks later...

"This problem of having fewer experience (sic) pilots and the blame for this situation can be placed directly in the hands of industry itself. Why? Because there are few companies who bring guys up and now we have gotten ourselves into a pickle..."

Unquote

My earlier comment continues to apply, P5. The large majority of operators that have been around for awhile generally don't cater to clientele that can utilize lower time pilots, ergo there's virtually no supportable rationale for them to do so.

Many of us can remember when Delta (St. Albert) had the Northwest Passage icebreaker tour every summer, and was able to bring along sprogs that have generally succeeded in their careers. As well, Yellowhead and other operators in the helitour markets have been able to do much the same.

But we have to acknowledge - client constraints are more and more the rule, giving less and less opportunity for newbies to break in.

And that can't be blamed entirely on our industry's safety experience either. Compared to other industries, aviation in general has been slow to adapt effective measures such as safety management systems. Rightly or wrongly, the marketplace, the courts and the underwriters are contributing to progress.

I've mentioned before that, many moons ago, our industry, with the outstanding assistance of ATAC (pre HAC) was able to get government to put up money for companies to add to the qualifications and experience of their pilots. We shot ourselves in the foot, though, when some companies deliberately misapplied the funds to give higher time folks instrument ratings and ATRs. In today's economy we certainly can't expect that kind of assistance but, perhaps down the road, we may be able to have the feds and even the heavy-using provinces see the benefit and try it again - perhaps with oversight (HAC?).

P.S. And thanks, guys, but I'm younger now than I was 20 years ago.