Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Pay Or Not

warner

I have had several different payscales...

Daily or Monthly plus hourly - most common in industry I'd expect?

Straight Hourly only - huge bucks to be made when busy, but starvation in the off season.

Straight monthly only - MY preference, not as much $$$ in the busy periods, but easy to budget the mortgage and food all winter.

Heard rumours last year that some pilots on day rates were, unfortunately, sitting at home collecting squat. I prefer some kinda guaranteed income, but I also like the idea that the more I bill the more I get. We each have our own comfy place in the pay scale spectrum...

DM

I prefer the monthly plus hourly flight pay. But that's my situation and personally I would only work for a guaranteed income.

I guess it depends who you work for, but if your company has decent contracts you can average the hours to figure out how much flight pay you will make then hope you get on some decent fires and make a lot more. But if your one of those guys sitting at home and waiting to get on fires than thats a different story.

Not so long ago there was a company paying a straight monthly wage which was quite fair and I thought was a great deal for a company that had year round work. It was great, a good salary and seemingly guaranteed income 12 months of the year. That is, until it slowed down in the fall and a couple of those well paid, year round employees got laid off....OUCH!!!

Taught me a good lesson. When my boss came to me offering the same, I asked him about what happens when it gets slow and he wants to lay me off. He told me not to worry because that would never happen. I told him that sounds great and asked him to wright up a contract that he'd pay me that monthly wage for a 12 month period then we could revisit it again after a year. Funny how he graciously bowed out.

My advise...take advantage of the good times and SAVE FOR MANY RAINY DAYS. If the rainy day doesn't come, enjoy the fruits of your labors.

• 2 weeks later...

I am all about straight salary these days. It's up to the company to fly me to earn my keep! Where I am at right now...they fly me to the maximum for a reasonable monthly salary. No complaints here.

But I don't work in Canada anymore.

Neither do I,flight pay is an excuse not to pay you when its slow