Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Hot/Cold Work Enviroment

Coldest was at Satellite Bay on Prince Patrick Island, March 1970 we had a 204B,205 and AS319 in the camp with Bow Helicopters, working outside changing a input seal on the 205 Trans and the next day pulled the hot end off on the 204. -65F or -54C. Fred Campbell, John Berringer, Jan Elbe, Ed Pruss everyone worked together, Flippen Cold no matter how you looked at it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldest was at Satellite Bay on Prince Patrick Island, March 1970 we had a 204B,205 and AS319 in the camp with Bow Helicopters, working outside changing a input seal on the 205 Trans and the next day pulled the hot end off on the 204. -65F or -54C. Fred Campbell, John Berringer, Jan Elbe, Ed Pruss everyone worked together, Flippen Cold no matter how you looked at it.

Was that the same 204 that crashed at sherrard bay...spent a lovely week there..had a look a what was left of a 204B mostly covered in sand...pottsy

-40C....for flying anyway. Can't go below that in a 212. Finally warmed up so we could fly yesterday and today. Was -40 with 25kt wind at Jenny Lind Island (70NM E of YCB) - but its a dry cold. The most fun is refuelling at that temp. Trying to roll up our fuel hoses was like trying to bath a cat. The AME said we had a contrail on departure....wish I had a picture.

Was that the same 204 that crashed at sherrard bay...spent a lovely week there..had a look a what was left of a 204B mostly covered in sand...pottsy

The one I think you might remember was a pilot by the name of Dave Ramsgar flying an OKy ship bought it slinging a radio tower had one pax, not much left of it when it went in.that was in the June july time frame if my mind is clear.

My coldest was -47 in the Brazeu River area south of Grande Prairie. Winter seismic.

Had to put the preheater on and wait for it to warm up to -40.

The fuel wouldn't flow through the filter in the preheater because it was crystalizing, so I had to set up a buddy heater to warm up the filter.

We also discovered that propane doesn't flow at those temperatures, so we had no heat in camp for over a week.

Never worked in extreme heat. Some fires we end up at may see temperatures in the mid to high 30's, but I don't consider that extreme.

Oh piffle!!! Those are windchills. Why back in the day.........................

Oh boy if you want to ad the windchill factor to this, well there will be some drillers with something to say here.

Just imagine -44 plus the 50 mph downwash of a B214 or Kamov. I know we checked it one day and we were OFF the windchill factor chart by a long way

JD

This was posted on Facebook by a friend

It appears we are big time wimps compared to kindergarten and gradeschool students in Lab City.

post-144-0-68716800-1296192079_thumb.jpg

So no weather days for these kids

Records Since January 1, 2004

Observation Town Record When

Lowest temperature Labrador City -41°C 15 Feb 2006

Lowest windchill Labrador City -54°C 14 Feb 2004

Highest temperature Goose Bay 32°C 8 Jul 2010

Strongest wind Labrador City 180 km/h 10 Aug 2004