Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Heli-Tour Ripoff?

Hey KM thats what I told you years ago the company will pay for the training and endorsements.

That statement might be true in some cases, but you could grow old and gray waiting for the companies to pick up the tab for an IFR or a night rating. Just getting a medium type rating can be difficult, let alone a heavy. I have seen quite a few cases where buying your own IFR will get you a medium endorsement, all depends on the companies needs at the time................

all those statements above are pretty true. I put my time in....things got busy. They pay for ratings when they need people. CHL, CHC, Cougar have all done this.

I do agree with what you're saying hybrid. Definitely right now there's not too many companies that will do that. The ifr side opens up a lot or options.

Guess what what my point was, that the mentality of "having of pay for a rating" is the way it goes, isn't right imho.

all those statements above are pretty true. I put my time in....things got busy. They pay for ratings when they need people. CHL, CHC, Cougar have all done this.

I do agree with what you're saying hybrid. Definitely right now there's not too many companies that will do that. The ifr side opens up a lot or options.

Guess what what my point was, that the mentality of "having of pay for a rating" is the way it goes, isn't right imho.

Just a friendly suggestion -you are stepping into a mine field here. Apparently you have fallen into a lucky situation for yourself-free training and endorsments for which you owe your employer some significant loyalty. 99% of the people here haven't. You will make yourself quite unpopular by unnecessarily adverstising that. It's human nature, (after all, no one REALLY feels great for a lottery winner)and it could come back to haunt you. Case in point-years ago when Canadore was giving away free Licences (on a 206) to Ontario students, one of them showed up in Calgary looking for work. The other guy trained at his own cost at another school, not ours. We told the Canadore guy we weren't hiring him. He was indignant, stating that the quality of his training was top notch. We agreed totally. We told him, however, that he had his big break, the other guy didn't and he actually had something to lose. Canadore guy didn't. We suggested that he tone down his Free Canadore diatribe and concentrate more on humility. So sometimes free costs. And no, we didn't think it wasn't fair.

Free training? A company requires an operator to operate an a/c so they Train that person?

What has the industry come to?

I think your story in regards to the canadore grad isn't the same thing .... Schools giving out endorsements isn't the same argument.

I don't disagree that paying for an endorsement is wrong. I was commenting to the fact that someone earlier mentioned "you need to buy an endorsement" type mentality. It's not the only option.

No, not just an endorsment-he got his full 100 hr course paid for by the Tax Payers. And no, if someone wants me to fly their helicopter, then do the type endorsment. If thats a problem, then there's a bigger problem not showing itself. Your responsibilty is to show loyalty and fly enough to compensate for the endorsment. One of my severe pet peeves is companies advertising for pilots OTHER PEOPLE trained. And I think you might be a little new to be wondering "what has the industry come to".

So what's your problem with my statement?

I finished school with a 22 endorsement.

I get hired and work on the ground.

Company gives me type rating and ppc and off I go.

Etc etc

That totally different then your tax money and my tax money paying for some guys license .... Trust me I'm with you on that one

never payed for night rating, Mountain course, 350, 500, got a great deal on 206, but always put the time in to ensure I left with a clear concious and the contract was complete. Maybe in a round about way I payed for it, but was never taken advantage of, fare is fare.

Starting to wonder about mediums, I would expect to sign a couple years for an endorsment, logical sense.