Flying In The Arctic

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are these folks:

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/17w-17e/sqns-escs/page-eng.asp?id=413

...although they admit to no dedicated SAR capability. Perhaps given a Herc and/or rotary-wing detachment they could be much more capable?

Yes I believe they still operate out of Yellowknife. A few years back there was an aircraft went missing out of Yellowknife. They took over 5 hours to round up the crew and go looking for 1 hour. The hercs arrived and found the aircraft the next day.

What's the feeling on blade covers? I think using them is asking for trouble if you don't have access to a herman nelson.

If is kind warm and wet use the newer style which are made out of a tarpaulin type of material they do not stick hardly ever. Do not ever use a heat gun around blade. Herman works if low heat or hot water if not too cold. The rainex windshield washer fluid is acceptable as well but still have to wipe off and not let get frosty. Still like to use blade covers though.

If is kind warm and wet use the newer style which are made out of a tarpaulin type of material they do not stick hardly ever. Do not ever use a heat gun around blade. Herman works if low heat or hot water if not too cold. The rainex windshield washer fluid is acceptable as well but still have to wipe off and not let get frosty. Still like to use blade covers though.

Additionally, it depends on the type of cover. The thin nylon ones will leak thru then you could get them frozen to the blade. We use some thick insulated ones that are a pain to get on but they won't stick if they get wet (not too wet anyway). Last time deployed outside we did not use the covers just the head blanket...it was -20ish and the blades were covered in hoar frost, but that just falls off. There was no precipitation or significant weather changes forecast. I guess what I am saying is you'll have to use your judgement based on the conditions and type of covers you have. NEVER mix glycol and rubbery stuff (like elastomerics); it'll wreck your machine.

There are these folks:

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/17w-17e/sqns-escs/page-eng.asp?id=413

...although they admit to no dedicated SAR capability. Perhaps given a Herc and/or rotary-wing detachment they could be much more capable?

Why is the motto "He who protects the Saguenay" when the unit is in Yellowknife? lol Just a just a rhetorical jab...no answer required.

Yes I believe they still operate out of Yellowknife. A few years back there was an aircraft went missing out of Yellowknife. They took over 5 hours to round up the crew and go looking for 1 hour. The hercs arrived and found the aircraft the next day.

Maybe if they augmented the unit with chinooks, they would have a better rescue capability.

Moderator???? It's time to moderate.

Agreed...

Let's get way back on topic.

We got some guys with some arctic experience and it has crossed into the SAR and operator survivability area - that's great, 1. lets stay on this. Or 2. any other tips and experiences that guys/gals can gain from working in high arctic conditions is useful.

Any personal beefs with each other can go through the 1 on 1 personal messaging please.

signed Steve, the guy who started this topic...aka moderator.

expanding number 2. I had a message from someone asking about what kit you need in the arctic. I gave him my list (its only a few seasons in development), perhaps someone has some suggestions of the not so obvious items that may help????

Try finding a sun chart for setting your DG. I cannot remember off hand how to do it all something about turning towards the sun and lining the shadow up on the broom closet check the time then set your DG from the chart. Age is a bad thing some of the details are fuzzy now If I can find the chart in my old stuff I will post it.

A simple way of setting your DG without the tables, though accuracy does suffer, is to multipy actual GMT time X 15 and then subtract your longitude (if you are West of the prime meridian). Right now at my location it is 19:40z. 15 X 19=285 + 10 (40/60 X 15) =295 degress - local longitude of 130 degrees = 165 degrees True. This is the sun's true bearing (approximately).

A simple way of setting your DG without the tables, though accuracy does suffer, is to multipy actual GMT time X 15 and then subtract your longitude (if you are West of the prime meridian). Right now at my location it is 19:40z. 15 X 19=285 + 10 (40/60 X 15) =295 degress - local longitude of 130 degrees = 165 degrees True. This is the sun's true bearing (approximately).

Thats the formula I was looking for Use that and have sun charts and you should be ok should your GPS #### the bed.