Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flying In The Arctic

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SAT phones are reasonable in cost...but hard to police your employees.

http://satellitephonestore.net/satellite-phone-services.php

Imagine buying the plan you think will be sufficient for your operation and you find out the engineer was having late night ...ahem....phone calls to his sweety in Arctic Bay every night and when you needed the phone for a real emergency you get "I'm sorry, your plan has expired"

I think the only advantage to a SAT phone is you can immediately notify and continually harass your OPS manager while waiting for help to arrive. If you're uncomfortable and hurt, why the **** should he get a good nights sleep?

SAT phones are reasonable in cost...but hard to police your employees.

http://satellitephonestore.net/satellite-phone-services.php

Imagine buying the plan you think will be sufficient for your operation and you find out the engineer was having late night ...ahem....phone calls to his sweety in Arctic Bay every night and when you needed the phone for a real emergency you get "I'm sorry, your plan has expired"

I think the only advantage to a SAT phone is you can immediately notify and continually harass your OPS manager while waiting for help to arrive. If you're uncomfortable and hurt, why the **** should he get a good nights sleep?

The only advantage of a SAT phone over what, your VHF or HF?

We have sat phones in our aircraft and they are not abused. Our main customer has portable sat phones with each crew and aren't abused. We use them daily for flight following and are a great asset. Imagine getting your paycheque deducted because the "crew" used the phone and no one is owning up to it. I, would, imagine the "I'm sorry, your plan has expired" reply, thus would ensure that the other crew member has authorization before such an emergency call is not able to have gone thru.

As with Sat phones, the last company I worked for, supplied them. I'd call home base 3-4 times a week and 'splain the situation, and a quick call to SWMBO on occasions. Any abuse would have led to 'repayment' of time, or I imagine being fired.

As an anecdote, when I was in the Navy (Loong time ago now) we had Inmarsat C, and that included phone service. Imagine the shock one of the crewmembers got when he got the bill at $70 pr minute... Not too hard to figure out who did it either, as the bills had phonenumbers on them.

Back to the arctic tho, would be nice to see SAR assets moving up closer to the 'action' and might show more sovreignty so there would be less disputes. Also imagine that the DEW line machines are on some form of stand-by, even if only for the actual DEW line. AS it is a DND/DOD contract, no?

Cheers

Hagar.

The only advantage of a SAT phone over what, your VHF or HF?

We have sat phones in our aircraft and they are not abused. Our main customer has portable sat phones with each crew and aren't abused. We use them daily for flight following and are a great asset. Imagine getting your paycheque deducted because the "crew" used the phone and no one is owning up to it. I, would, imagine the "I'm sorry, your plan has expired" reply, thus would ensure that the other crew member has authorization before such an emergency call is not able to have gone thru.

for your benefit skully, as you seem to always think someone is serious, is the next time i open my mouth i will emblazen the top with a ITS A FRICKEN JOKE DON"T GET YOUR PANTIES IN A BUNCH

for your benefit skully, as you seem to always think someone is serious, is the next time i open my mouth i will emblazen the top with a ITS A FRICKEN JOKE DON"T GET YOUR PANTIES IN A BUNCH

Just because you wear panties doesn't mean I do!(Now watch what I do here so that you know it is supposed to be funny as you can't see me laughing at my own joke) LOL ;) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

As with Sat phones, the last company I worked for, supplied them. I'd call home base 3-4 times a week and 'splain the situation, and a quick call to SWMBO on occasions. Any abuse would have led to 'repayment' of time, or I imagine being fired.

As an anecdote, when I was in the Navy (Loong time ago now) we had Inmarsat C, and that included phone service. Imagine the shock one of the crewmembers got when he got the bill at $70 pr minute... Not too hard to figure out who did it either, as the bills had phonenumbers on them.

Back to the arctic tho, would be nice to see SAR assets moving up closer to the 'action' and might show more sovreignty so there would be less disputes. Also imagine that the DEW line machines are on some form of stand-by, even if only for the actual DEW line. AS it is a DND/DOD contract, no?

Cheers

Hagar.

Yes...I am on that contract. Yes, the SAR community is totally aware that "we" WWW.HTSC.CA is the NWS service provider. HTSC is not a DND asset; they are a provider of a contracted service to DND.

Therefore, my boss (owner) could get a call if someone was in need of immediate SAR assets and there is a possibility we could be first responders to a situation since no-one else is up here. RCC often use civilian assets in remote locations as it may take some time to get the military assets in position.

If it is safe and within our range, we will not be leaving any one out there in distress. However, you could be out there for awhile as the weather and lack of alternates and fuel are key factors so bundle up. If an aircraft can't show up, just hope for a guy in an orange jump suit to fall from the sky; he will give you medical aid, shelter and survivability for days/weeks if necessary.