Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

I Phone Apps

b206

For quick and dirty flying reference, I like these...

AeroWeather (free)

TC AIM (free)

iE6B (free)

iBal (paid for that one)

Daylight (sunrise/sunset and civil twilight times - also free)

Besides being a rookie pilot I'm also an old avalanche technician, so I saved a couple other weather links as App icons. I have a direct link to the GFA, and I also have one for the current western Canada IR satellite image and one for the radar imagery out of Vernon, BC.

I have a Canada topo map app that was free and is excellent - I only wish it would let me zoom in.

I also downloaded GoodReader Lite, which is a PDF reader. I have a couple flight manuals in PDF form, so I use this app to read the manuals on my phone. It's a bit clunky, but it was free. Also saved VerticalMag as an App icon :)

That's all I have that relates to weather and/or flying.

Hope this helps!

- Darren

Foreflight is awesome but it's a paid subscription, I used it in the summer months daily. I let the subscription lapse for the winter. It has an excellent map/weather overlay I think there is a free trial for first download.

Aeroweather is great as well, I paid for the full app as I use this daily. It provides sun up/down times as well.

Logten Pro - excellent logbook app. It's all I use now and worth every cent. Logs duty, expenses, and completely customizable.

Those are the most used on my phone.

Question about Goodreader....I'm a recent convert from a blackberry to iphone 4. (on monday). What does goodreader do? As near as I can tell the iphone handles pdf's. Am I mmissing out on something good?

I don't know if you're missing anything - chances are that I'm the one that's missing out...

I couldn't figure outhow to get a big PDF file onto my phone without emailing it to myself, and iPhone mail doesn't like files bigger than 20mb.

I think there are other options out there for PDF readers. Another simple hint I just read would be to upload your bigger docs to Google Doc and then just access them online.

For the android folks Appventive Weight and Balance cost me about $10 and came in handy during a ramp check this past summer. Punched in the numbers, it spat out the weight and balance with a handy little graph, emailed it to myself and the CP while the Transport gents were doing their cool down. They seemed very impressed. Start to finish it took about 30 seconds.

For quick and dirty flying reference, I like these...

AeroWeather (free)

TC AIM (free)

iE6B (free)

iBal (paid for that one)

Daylight (sunrise/sunset and civil twilight times - also free)

Besides being a rookie pilot I'm also an old avalanche technician, so I saved a couple other weather links as App icons. I have a direct link to the GFA, and I also have one for the current western Canada IR satellite image and one for the radar imagery out of Vernon, BC.

I have a Canada topo map app that was free and is excellent - I only wish it would let me zoom in.

I also downloaded GoodReader Lite, which is a PDF reader. I have a couple flight manuals in PDF form, so I use this app to read the manuals on my phone. It's a bit clunky, but it was free. Also saved VerticalMag as an App icon :)

That's all I have that relates to weather and/or flying.

Hope this helps!

- Darren

Are you happy with iBal? Is it easy to load other aircraft say for example a 206B with all the real weights? And does it save the settings? Any good info on this app would be appreciated.

Cheers

Are you happy with iBal? Is it easy to load other aircraft say for example a 206B with all the real weights? And does it save the settings? Any good info on this app would be appreciated.

Cheers

Its a great app, definitely worth the money. It saves settings per aircraft so you can enter the Current w+b then after that its as simple as inputing weights per location, fuel in lbs, gallons or liters - it does the conversions for you. You can have multiple 206b configs for different aircraft.

I have nothing to add about good apps at the moment, but while on the topic of Iphones, I am interested in one, yet I am leary of the packages available to the consumer for usage.

On average what are you guys paying a month?

I want one as there are many useful apps for my volunteer work, but i'm not wanting to go bankrupt paying telus or rogers...