Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Engineer Shortage?

Heliian

Hello again supermechanics!

The company I work for is short engineers and I was wondering if there is a nationwide shortage or are we just not paying enough? I also see new ads daily from other companies looking for engineers but nobody is posting salaries anymore. Any input would be greatly appreciated and if you know someone looking for an engineer job, let me know.

Thanks,

I

Why not hire some apprentices, put them through the program, allow them a living wage, don't treat them as indentured slaves, and perhaps they will stay with you. Everybody wants, nobody gives. I wouldn't want my kids anywhere near this business after what I've seen at some companies. And, I just love those we want someboy elses employees ads. Train your own. This, by the way, is not directed at you, Heliian, it's just a broad band statment.

post-3781-0-80138900-1297104326_thumb.jpg

I wish it was that easy AH1, We have some great apprenti, but we lost a couple this year. One guy wanted to go and make 100g's a year the easy(and illegal) way and the other one wanted to be flown home across the country every 3 weeks(not economically viable for an apprentice). So we hired 2 more newbies fresh off the rack.

We are expanding and are looking for some experience for the team, we aren't a revolving door company, nor are we a big corporate machine.

Hello hazeman,

We have put out ads in all the regular mediums, but just aren't getting the replies that were expected. I'm trying a different approach now by scouting out the field and getting some data on peoples expectations so that we can tailor our program to attract the best and brightest.

Cheers,

I

May not get much response when you are anonymous.

Anonimity is important when trying to collect unbiased data. It really doesn't matter what company you work for, everybody has their own opinions and I'm trying to avoid turning this into a personal issue.

Thanks,

I

This is turning into an intersting topic. It would appear that the newer mechanics are not up to speed as to what is required, and where they are expected to work. The job has not changed in 30 years, so that's not the problem. I don't understand how they can go to school for years and not be exposed to the job environment. To act totally stunned when they show up and are expected to actually go in the bush is beyond me. What did they expect? I saw this scenario happen with the company I worked for last year. Young new mechanic showed up at a very very nice northern base, didn't really have to go anywhere, and yet didn't want to be away from the big lights. I was suprised when he actually quit, I thought he was doing just fine. Perhaps the whole issue has more do do with a changing or morphing society, it certainly isn't the job, and in fact, from my observation, some things have actually gotten better from a bush perspective. Companies have been giving substantial compensation, and yet it's always the same thing, "I don't want to be here" Beats me.