Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Cirrus

I’m not sure if anyone here noticed or not, but the TSB final report for Cougar 491 has been released. I’m still reading it. Slowly. It’s difficult. Some of the media reports are even harder to read, especially the comments from the ignorant, uninformed, anonymous posters. I’m not sure why our media encourages mass feedback and opinion as I personally find the ignorance repulsive.

Matt Davis and Tim Lanouette were faced with an impossible, lose-lose situation. I have the utmost respect for both of them. May they rest in peace.

I feel sorry for the all families involved, especially those who think listening to the CVR tapes will bring them closure. I doubt it will. But I do hope you find it. Remember; You may never get over it, but you WILL get through it.

I hope we can all learn something from this terrible loss.

Fly Safe.

I’m not sure if anyone here noticed or not, but the TSB final report for Cougar 491 has been released. I’m still reading it. Slowly. It’s difficult. Some of the media reports are even harder to read, especially the comments from the ignorant, uninformed, anonymous posters. I’m not sure why our media encourages mass feedback and opinion as I personally find the ignorance repulsive.

Matt Davis and Tim Lanouette were faced with an impossible, lose-lose situation. I have the utmost respect for both of them. May they rest in peace.

I feel sorry for the all families involved, especially those who think listening to the CVR tapes will bring them closure. I doubt it will. But I do hope you find it. Remember; You may never get over it, but you WILL get through it.

I hope we can all learn something from this terrible loss.

Fly Safe.

Well said,

Yesterday the CBC news radio had played an extended clip of the CVR tapes between other programming. The channel was changed as I was sitting with my six year old son who is very aware of the events of March 12.

I don't think that freely playing these clips is appropriate. If someone chooses to press play on the website that is their choice but I cannot accept that a family member or close friend would go through that pain for the sake of "freedom of the press".

Shameful.

RH

I totally agree rotorhead.

as deep as the tragedy has struck many of us, all i can hope for is something good becomes of it.

I have many personal views on the subject which remain my own demons to fight with.

All I will publicly say is that those who misrepresented (or otherwise) a critical component, regarding the utmost safety of those who fly this aircraft daily should pay, and should pay dearly and as deeply as those affected from the tragedy.

All we can do is learn from past events.

One thing I noted is about flight recorders, that they may cut out too early. Apparently one of the yaw kicks they experienced was hard enough to isolate the FDR thus ending the recording. The last few seconds were recorded through the HUMS system I guess.

I also thought that TSB were not including the CVR transcript in the report, so why in the world would someone publish it in a different medium?? sorta does not make sense.

Lastly, did not know the crew, but have the utmost sympathies for them, their families and their colleagues. I wish to someday be part of that group of people, so it strikes hard when these things happen.

H.

• 3 weeks later...

Well said,

Yesterday the CBC news radio had played an extended clip of the CVR tapes between other programming. The channel was changed as I was sitting with my six year old son who is very aware of the events of March 12.

I don't think that freely playing these clips is appropriate. If someone chooses to press play on the website that is their choice but I cannot accept that a family member or close friend would go through that pain for the sake of "freedom of the press".

Shameful.

RH

What CBC played, was a portion of the ATC transmissions. Nothing from the CVR has been released.

Has anyone read this? Ken Armstrong Article

What CBC played, was a portion of the ATC transmissions. Nothing from the CVR has been released.

As someone who has spent many years in the off-shore IFR environment, I completely agree with the logic outlined in Ken's article.

And I think his logic is sound regardless of a/c type or certification standard.

I would also note that Okanagan had a similar incident with SK61 CF-OKZ out of Halifax, when the a/c lost all transmission oil, ditched, and everyone survived.

Pierre Looten must be turning in his grave over this tragedy.

Finally, I my humble opinion, there is a wealth of lessons to be learned from this accident - for all levels of management and crew.

I really don't care what the source was, it doesn't belong on public radio. If someone wants to hear it, there are sources online where one can willingly hit the "play" button.

"CGR331" today.

I really don't care what the source was, it doesn't belong on public radio. If someone wants to hear it, there are sources online where one can willingly hit the "play" button.

"CGR331" today.

Agreed. CBC Here and Now played it on TV right after it was released and neglected to inform the family. I'd expect that from Fox News, not the CBC. There was quite an uproar about that.

I'm sure the sensitivities of the families are by now considerably dulled by the course of events from the tragic crash to date, and expecting ANY media to seriously protect them in the unseemly race for headlines is hopelessly naive.

If the continuing publicity of the tragedy provides any more attention to the myriad lessons to be learned from it, there's enormous value to be had.