Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Request For Information - Cf Veterans

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am requesting information regarding your experience of leaving the CF in the last 5 years and then trying to find a job in Civil Aviation.

There is the opportunity to make this transition much easier for all but I need supporting facts to make a proposal.

Please add your experiences to this thread or Personal Message via the links above.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am requesting information regarding your experience of leaving the CF in the last 5 years and then trying to find a job in Civil Aviation.

There is the opportunity to make this transition much easier for all but I need supporting facts to make a proposal.

Please add your experiences to this thread or Personal Message via the links above.

I got out at the bottom of the economic slump, and was able to get myself a job for the summer. Then I lucked out, and got a full time position later that fall, and have been happily in the "civi" side ever since. I won't say it was easy however, I did send out a ton of resumes, responded to every job ad I saw, and was proactive in calling and following up when I thought there might be a possible prospect. Not sure how it could be made easier other than other ex military guys proving their worth and keeping a good reputation alive for other vets. My $0.02.

I've done it twice. 1998 and recently.

I flew as a civilian pilot for 2 years (98-00); and just started again now as I retired from the CF.

1st: It will be different. If you have a work ethic and don't mind getting dirty you shouldn't have too many problems. If you were an administrative burden in the CF; the civilian market will find out even sooner and you won't make it. If you want to work 6 hours a day and sluff off, you'll starve.

2nd - skills: You have skills but the majority of the market isn't suited for you unless you get someone to give you a chance. Your not going to start at Captain 10 pay either. Find out what you want to do and find an employer who is willing to show you the ropes (there are allot of them) and train you in the specialty you want (fires, seismic, drilling, coning...etc). Remember that there are many VFR longline guys out there all searching for the few jobs in the industry -- they know the job, the customer and have the specific skills - you have the fundamental skills - you just need a chance to get the technical skills. However, the industry appears to be picking up so maybe there might be a chance for you to prove yourself as guys start TXing (4-6 weeks after the season starts).

3rd: Your market. You are a crew oriented, IFR, NVG, Training pilot (most likely). This is where your foundations lie so find employers that need these skills. Offshore, medivac, North Warning, etc...This can be a well paying good lifestyle as well; often with equal time off rotations.

4th: Season: Companies generally hire on short notice and in the spring (Feb-Apr). Civilian VFR companies do the annual training and PPCs at this time and then put you on standby. If you are going into an IFR world, it could be at any time of the year but it will most likely be short notice. Both of my jumps into the industry occurred in a period of about 2-3 weeks from call to being online. My point is make a departure plan and financially be prepared for the transition.

5th: Education. There is allot of information to learn. The CFP100 (BGA 100), CAD Os, SMM, BFOs, Wing Os, 204, etc....all have there civilian equivalencies. In addition to this, you will be expected to know how to action the company Flt Safety System (SMS) not just attend day briefs. You'll be expected to actually "do" DIs and elementary maintenance not just have an annual walk through. Most companies have online learning for their training. Expect 2 weeks of 3-4 hours every night of homework to get oriented (on your own time).

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Good luck.