Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Trip To Canada!

I'm a New Zealand pilot(H) considering a trip to Canada to knock on doors and would appreciate any advice anyone may have on the best way to go about it and the best places. I'm sure there are some of you out there who did a similar sort of thing and i'd appreciate hearing and learning from your experiences.

Any info. would be sensational.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
I'm a New Zealand pilot(H) considering a trip to Canada to knock on doors and would appreciate any advice anyone may have on the best way to go about it and the best places. I'm sure there are some of you out there who did a similar sort of thing and i'd appreciate hearing and learning from your experiences.

Any info. would be sensational.

Thanks

Hi Kiwi300,

looks like you want to come to Canada to look for a job.

A few things to consider:

- if you only have a New Zealand license you need to get a Canadian equivalent

in order to work

- you need to have at least landed immigrant status or be a Canadian citizen

Kiwi300, your door-knocking should probably start where you're most likely to make landfall, Vancouver because British Columbia (B.C.) has the largest number of helicopter operators. The next province east, Alberta, also has a goodly number, so logic (and reality) would suggest you work your way east as far as necessity and your resources will take you. Generally, the better money is probably in the west, as well. If you're IFR rated there are possibilities on both coasts but even moreso (but less lucratively) in the air ambulance field. As well, Helijet, the major scheduled carrier offers IFR opportunities, but at low wages.

Good luck to you, whatever you do - you may also note from these forums that there's a strong move afoot to keep your 'furriners' out of our flying jobs. B)