Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Taiga Helicopters

Hi there

I was wondering if somebody knows anything about the hiring of low timers with Taiga helicopters in Whitecourt, AB!?

Any pros or cons?

Anything known about the time in ground crew or from prev. on the average time they have u in ground before u get a chance to fly?

Heard once that its more like 2-3 years ground before they let you go since they got no work for low timers can somebody confirm or deny this rumor?

thxs

Hi there

I was wondering if somebody knows anything about the hiring of low timers with Taiga helicopters in Whitecourt, AB!?

Any pros or cons?

Anything known about the time in ground crew or from prev. on the average time they have u in ground before u get a chance to fly?

Heard once that its more like 2-3 years ground before they let you go since they got no work for low timers can somebody confirm or deny this rumor?

thxs

Well the fact that the knives haven't come out on this forum against them is a possible good sign, but not necessarily be a relevant sign.

If you are a low time pilot, and they offered you an opportunity to possibly get a start flying, you might just take the job and find out for yourself. Not a lot of operators will even give you a chance, your odds are less than 20% statistically. Somebody could respond that they had a very negative experience with them, then they might be lazy and expect to be flying the longdog by July. Or you might get the opposite, someone who works their *** off and got 3.4 hours (or less) last year on a 206.

In "most" cases listen, work hard, don't complain, don't f**k up, don't worry about what the other guy is doing and you will get likely your shot in due course. (maybe I should take my own advise)

There is a lot of varying experienced people on this forum, some guys have been in this industry for over 50 years, some haven't started a turbine yet. Problem is the later does most of the posting here, take a lot of what you see here with caution. Better yet, go find out for yourself.

I have known two guys who worked for Taiga in the past. One started flying after three years, the other last two on ground, and left.

Great guys who run the company and great experience to get as groundcrew which will help in the future.

They're work is mostly seismic, which makes it tough for a lowtimer to get flyin.

Hope this helps!

Guest bag swinnger

Hi there

Any pros or cons?

thxs

Already some good advice above oreomaster.

I was once offered a ground only job with Taiga and sure am glad I took it. I learned a lot about the business and made life long friends and connections while I was there. I didn't get to fly with them at first for reasons mentioned above, but based on my performance as ground crew, I was asked back and flew for them for a few years after that. I am the pilot that I am with the skills that I have thanks to Fred Prufer and for myself for taking the opportunity of a non flying ground job with them all those years ago.

Good Luck!

I have never worked for them, but I have met Fred and I thought he was a good guy. I have never heard anyone speak badly about him.

You will find that most companies that focus on seismic and hire 100 hour pilots as ground crew will end up working you for several years before you get a shot at flying. I'm not sure what really ends up being the deciding factor on who and when get a drivers seat. It might have something to do with personality, pilot turn over, and just what type of seismic they do. (moving bags with a 50 foot line in the prairies during the summer is great for low-timers to learn the ropes.)

I do know that when I worked for Mustang about 5 years ago, I had some good guys working with me as my ground support and they are now experienced seismic pilots over there. If you get an offer to put your foot in any door, you should take it. Just because you are working ground crew somewhere doesn't mean you can't keep looking for a flying job at the same time. It might even look good on your resume' because you can learn a lot working seismic ground support.

Just my 2 cents.

If you can get signed on with them, go for it! Fred prufer is an experienced guy and will treat you fairly. Just return the favour.

Phil

only heard good things , seem to be working lots this spring not many others are , and if you can get your foot in the door with any helicopter company these days then take it .

the ground experience you get from most companies is priceless .

even from paul their maintenance department very very knowledgeable . alot of experience there . what newbies learn during the first years on the ground can and will safe your but and the company your working for lots of money in the future ,

so learn grasshopper learn !

unless your polishing truck rims in the prairies of course ,lol right 18 speed ,