Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tandem Slinging Question

was watching fear factor tonite... it's like playboy, i watch it for the interesting stunts... :rolleyes:

anyways, the final stunt involved 2 astars slinging side by side while the final contestants pull flags off the structure being slung...

my question is what's it like to try and keep everything so steady.. found myself wondering about the rotorwash created by each disk so close to each other... and how much turbulence you are trying to compensate for...

the same went on liftoff... must be some pretty good co-ordination on the pitch pull.. :shock: B)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my question is what's it like to try and keep everything so steady.. found myself wondering about the rotorwash created by each disk so close to each other... and how much turbulence you are trying to compensate for...

the same went on liftoff... must be some pretty good co-ordination on the pitch pull.. :shock:  B)

If both machines are into wind then the rotorwash will tend to flow down and aft, therefore, won't affect the other helicopter appreciably. On takeoff, if both lift off the ground into a high hover at the same time they will avoid each others rotorwash as well and the timing of pulling pitch can easily be coordinated on the radio. What looks hard on TV sometimes really isn't - they just build up the drama for effect although I never saw this Fear Factor episode so maybe it was harder than I imagine... :wacko:

form.jpg

Me...in the middle (summer 1990). We're halfway through a line abreast formation 360 degree pedal turn...and no problems with rotorwash.

I remember watching a TV show when I was a kid of a guy hovering a 206. He had a little robotic arm on the toe of the right skid and he had to prepare a bowl of cereal - milk and all, just using the arm. I was pretty impressed back then but in reality, with some practice, it's probably within the capability of your average helicopter pilot.

I guess I shouldn't make this stuff sound too easy or everyone will want to be a helicopter pilot. :huh:

...I had to get my rocks off by watching an old Magnum PI with a 500/Longranger chase scene.

I grew up watching Magnum! Wife actually got me the first season on DVD....although she can't sit through an episode. Heard Hollywood's doing a movie with George Clooney as our intrepid Ferrari driving , womanizing, crime-fighting star.

i guess that's what got me too, 412driver.. from the camera angle, the disks looked too close to each other to not be in each others burble...

as sticky was saying, the wind was a definate factor in the show... both appeared to be full face on...

and i have watched the portage rangers and was well aware that co-ordination was very likely.. it was just the closeness or appearance of closeness that made me wonder..

I wonder How TC would classify that one =Double D class load!!!?

Formation slinging? I'd like to see' em do some tandom heli logging! two smaller machines twice the load??. **** with 2 206 B's you could probably start thinking about picking up a half decent size tree!!! HA HA HA

I can just imagine calling up TC and trying to explain how this thing was going to go off??

Ah Sir......well you see its like this......

I wanna talk to the operator who's insurance says this tandom external deal load is OK??, who was the operator? any body notice the REG #?

I didn't see the show, but I would expect they would stagger the length of long line or short lines being used - one machine with a 75' and the other with a 50'. That's what I have seen in the past to avoid close calls.

There was that inadvertant tandem slinging on a logging show a while back on the BC coast when the support 206's long line and the 61's long line snagged each other - thankfully the release worked, on the 206!