Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tandem Slinging Question

For those of you unfamiliar with the TV show Fear Factor, or the magazine Playboy that are being discussed here, I have included some photos from my vast collection for your edification.

Fear Factor often features some cunning stunts, while Playboy features something with a slightly different spelling.

On the left is the "tandem slinging" scene from the TV show a few nights ago. Unfortunately I do not have any close-up photos of the sling-load.

On the right is a young lady from the Playboy organisation. It appears she is just removing some "tandem slinging" equipment at the time this photo was taken. Unfortunately I am not allowed to include my close-up photos of the sling-load, though I can assure you it is a class DD load !!!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sort of thing is to be discouraged at every turn. People will believe whatever they see on TV and sure as shooting someone will think that tandem slinging is an accepted practice. Its pitfalls are obvious and numerous. Fear Factor deserves vociferous censure for this.

Lest young and impressionable pilots get the idea that stunting is acceptable, it is most certainly not. Machinery has been destroyed and lives have been lost because of it. Brought to mind is the unfortunate incident some years ago near Banff. It is likely that the pilot was flying very low and very fast over a ridge with fatal results. The picnickers on board enjoyed their lunch in a place far higher than they ever expected.

Helicopter flying is an inherently dangerous undertaking. Terrible things can happen so fast that the victims will not even know what hit them. Utmost caution is to be used at all times. It pays to be hypercautious. Never let anyone talk you into doing something that causes discomfort. If there is a little voice somewhere saying, 'Gee, I don't know about this...', pay attention.

On the other hand, if one applies sound judgement and intelligent thought and if one seeks out the counsel of those wiser and more experienced, one will be pleasantly surprised at what he and his machine can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Well now, let's rate the pictures for a change. One requires some skill, the right a/c and nerve. The other requires reading glasses at the most and the ability to say "hmmmmmm". The last requires that one indulge in self-mutilation, similar to what is known as 'Coyote Arm'. Question is......can one chew and where does one start? :lol: Quality of photos?......oh about 8.5 out of 10. :lol: