Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Great Slave Incident

Anyone know what aircraft type this was> Good to see all are OK.

HELICOPTER CRASHES SOUTHEAST OF YELLOWKNIFE, CREW UNHARMED

March 10, 2011

Yellowknife, N.W.T. - One pilot and two passengers have left the scene of a helicopter crash unscathed after a Great Slave chopper went down about 200 kms outside Yellowknife.

The pilot was attempting to land near Pellet Lake, but it rolled onto its side in the crash no one on board was injured.

The crew was doing survey work around the N.W.T./ Nunavut border.

Great Slave Helicopters President, Jeff Denemy said the pilot has plenty of experience, and it's unclear what caused the crash.

“Every pilot at great slave helicopter has arctic winter training and experience. This is very uncommon and until we do our investigation, we are not sure why this would have happened at this time.”

Denemy said Great Slave's sister company, Air Tindi, was able to pick up the crew within three hours of the crash.

An investigator with the Transportation Safety Board looking into the crash, said he's still waiting to speak with the crew to figure out what happened.

CJCD Mix 100 News

Interesting that yesterday's TSB prelim states that he "encountered white-out conditions and the pilot lost reference with lake surface ..... contacted the lake surface and rolled over." There's no point in 'rushing to judgement,' but it will be interesting to see the final report.

Sure glad all three seem to have gotten out OK.

Interesting that yesterday's TSB prelim states that he "encountered white-out conditions and the pilot lost reference with lake surface ..... contacted the lake surface and rolled over." There's no point in 'rushing to judgement,' but it will be interesting to see the final report.

Sure glad all three seem to have gotten out OK.

Got my answer in Cadors

Record #1

Cadors Number: 2011C0797

Reporting Region: Prairie & Northern

Occurrence Information

Occurrence Type: Incident

Occurrence Date: 2011-03-08

Occurrence Time: 1300 Z

Day Or Night: night-time

Fatalities: 0

Injuries: 0

Canadian Aerodrome ID:

Aerodrome Name:

Occurrence Location: Pellet Lake

Province: Northwest Territories

World Area: North America

Reported By: NAV CANADA

AOR Number: 129759-V1

TSB Class Of Investigation:

TSB Occurrence No:

Aircraft Information

Flight #:

Aircraft Category: Helicopter

Country of Registration: CANADA

Make: AEROSPATIALE

Model: AS 350B2

Year Built: 2006

Amateur Built: No

Engine Make: TURBOMECA

Engine Model: ARRIEL 1D1

Engine Type: Turbo shaft

Gear Type: Land

Phase of Flight: Landing

Damage: Unknown

Owner: GREAT SLAVE HELICOPTERS LTD

Operator: GREAT SLAVE HELICOPTERS LTD. (4756)

Operator Type: Commercial

Event Information

Collision with terrain

Detail Information

User Name: Beauchamp, Carol

Date: 2011-03-09

Further Action Required: No

O.P.I.: System Safety

Narrative: Advised by manager of Great Slave Helicopters that CFYKD an AS350B2 on a VFR Company Flight Note, had rolled over while attempting to land near Pellet Lake NWT at approximately 1300Z. Further advised that pilot was "okay". RCC had been advised and had been to the crash site.

Occurrence No. : A11C0038 Occurrence Type: ACCIDENT

Class : CLASS 5 Reportable Type:

Date : 08-03-2011 Time : 13:00 CST

Region of Responsibility : CENTRAL

Aircraft Information:

Manufacturer : EUROCOPTER Operator Type: COMMERCIAL

Model : AS 350 B2 CARs Info: 703 - AIR TAXI

Injuries: Fatal : 0 Serious : 0 Minor : 0 None : 3 Unknown : 0

Occurrence Summary :

A11C0038: The AS350 B2, C-FYKD, was engaged in survey operations near Pellet Lake, NWT. The flight was operating an altitude of approximately 150 feet agl and following a survey line which was near the snow covered surface of Pellet Lake. The flight encountered white-out conditions and the pilot lost visual reference with lake surface. Shortly afterward the helicopter contacted the lake surface and rolled over. The pilot and 2 passengers were able to exit the helicopter without injuries, however a post crash fire ensued, which destroyed most of the fuselage and all survival gear onboard. The 406 ELT activated on impact passing the aircraft's position to search and rescue. The pilot contacted the operator via satellite phone. The company provided with position information from RCC were able dispatch a Twin Otter aircraft from Yellowknife to rescue the pilot and 2 passengers.

The pilot and 2 passengers were able to exit the helicopter without injuries, however a post crash fire ensued, which destroyed most of the fuselage and all survival gear onboard.

Can't say just HOW happy I am that they all survived this accident. That is just excellent. Sure they got a tad cold before being picked up tho...

My quote there, sure gives some attention to the statement that the only thing you'll have is what you are wearing... Perhaps I should resurrect my survival vest again? I look like a moron wearing it, but better to have that survival blanket, than nothing other than what you are wearing...

Cheers

Hagar.

So glad crew and pax walked away!!!!

I carry a survival blanket, flint, and signal mirror in my flightsuit, and my Leatherman isn't just for annoying the engineers. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

D Mitten

Winnie/Hagar/whoever, I know whence you speak. Back in the day, I wore a Mustang floater jacket with all my 'goodies' jammed in the pockets. No-one laughed, at least in my face, and I couldn't have given a d**n if they did. The mere idea of being flung out of a burnt bird with zip/nada/rien to work with should more than overcome any bashfulness with a truly professional pilot.

Winnie/Hagar/whoever, I know whence you speak. Back in the day, I wore a Mustang floater jacket with all my 'goodies' jammed in the pockets. No-one laughed, at least in my face, and I couldn't have given a d**n if they did. The mere idea of being flung out of a burnt bird with zip/nada/rien to work with should more than overcome any bashfulness with a truly professional pilot.

Not bashful, trust me. I was the one who wore a helmet from day one...

But yes, when I go back to the bush, the vest comes...

Cheers

Harald (Hagar as in Hagar the horrible cartoon)

Occurrence No. : A11C0038 Occurrence Type: ACCIDENT

Class : CLASS 5 Reportable Type:

Date : 08-03-2011 Time : 13:00 CST

Region of Responsibility : CENTRAL

Aircraft Information:

Manufacturer : EUROCOPTER Operator Type: COMMERCIAL

Model : AS 350 B2 CARs Info: 703 - AIR TAXI

Injuries: Fatal : 0 Serious : 0 Minor : 0 None : 3 Unknown : 0

Occurrence Summary :

A11C0038: The AS350 B2, C-FYKD, was engaged in survey operations near Pellet Lake, NWT. The flight was operating an altitude of approximately 150 feet agl and following a survey line which was near the snow covered surface of Pellet Lake. The flight encountered white-out conditions and the pilot lost visual reference with lake surface. Shortly afterward the helicopter contacted the lake surface and rolled over. The pilot and 2 passengers were able to exit the helicopter without injuries, however a post crash fire ensued, which destroyed most of the fuselage and all survival gear onboard. The 406 ELT activated on impact passing the aircraft's position to search and rescue. The pilot contacted the operator via satellite phone. The company provided with position information from RCC were able dispatch a Twin Otter aircraft from Yellowknife to rescue the pilot and 2 passengers.

I have $5.00 that says the Twin Otter that picked up the crew was Not Yellow & Red.