Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bambi Buckets On The Japanese Reactor?

Ya, I'm not sure that's a good plan......... And I can't imagine the fleet of helicopters you'd need to make any difference with the situation. I think I'll just watch from here.

R...

Good luck getting volunteers for that job...remember Russia...not pretty.... :(

are they flipping insane or just morbidly stupid?

for anyone to think water bucketing the cooling water would ever work is a few bricks short of a wall

do some quick math, a 1000mwe nuclear reactor with single flow thru, needs over 475,000 gallons of water per minute to cool it....even if they had a water bucket for a Mi8....jeesus guys, there'd be no airspace available to fly that many helicopters on a circuit.

idiots.

Mmmm......

I remember Chernobyl in 86,I was in Berlin with HM forces at the time. Was not fun. Here is a quote from a Russian pilot that flew on the rescue missions, which I remember watching in our crew room as it happened.....

Quote;

Sitting nervously over a cup of tea in the foyer of a Kiev hotel, retired helicopter pilot Sergei Volodin taps the medal given to him by the president of Ukraine in 1996; it's the same one that 10 years before had been posthumously awarded to the firemen killed fighting the blaze at Reactor No 4. 'In 1986,' he says, 'the firemen were all awarded it for dying. After 10 years, we were awarded it for still being alive.'

unquote. The full article from the UK Guardian available at this link, http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/mar/26/nuclear.russia

I seem to remember reading somewhere, that the last pilot involved passed on a couple years ago.

Yep, think they will have a problem filling those seats....I for one will be staying well away from that gig. Good luck to all involved, very tragic.....

I think if there was actually a chance of this working, I would hope that it would not be hard to fill the seats. If it was possible to help save that many lives, why would you not want to help???

And to anyone having a bad day at work or not happy because of the money you are making or because you feel like you are being treated unfairly. Just think of the workers at the nuclear plant that no longer have homes or families and are there putting there lives on the line. If they are able to make it through this or not, each and every one of them are heros not only for Japan but every other country of the world that is effected by this disaster.

Good Luck to all of them!

are they flipping insane or just morbidly stupid?

for anyone to think water bucketing the cooling water would ever work is a few bricks short of a wall

do some quick math, a 1000mwe nuclear reactor with single flow thru, needs over 475,000 gallons of water per minute to cool it....even if they had a water bucket for a Mi8....jeesus guys, there'd be no airspace available to fly that many helicopters on a circuit.

idiots.

My 5 cents :

Maybe , deceived by helicopter brand new pump the diesel fuel, and set it on the shore . The end of the outlet pipe of the reactor was transferred by helicopter and put on it . Remotely to run the pump , and pump water into a reactor . Or you can suck from the tank with boric acid .... at least not have to constantly fly over the reactor ...

Andrew