Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bambi Buckets On The Japanese Reactor?

are they flipping insane or just morbidly stupid?

for anyone to think water bucketing the cooling water would ever work is a few bricks short of a wall

do some quick math, a 1000mwe nuclear reactor with single flow thru, needs over 475,000 gallons of water per minute to cool it....even if they had a water bucket for a Mi8....jeesus guys, there'd be no airspace available to fly that many helicopters on a circuit.

idiots.

:rolleyes: ITG's are always good for a laugh. Thanks.

No ITG (Internet Tough Guy)here. just pure bewilderment on the logic behind some peoples thinking.

since you seem to be the man with an answer, how about offering some sage advice on why you think bucketing would be beneficial in this case.

I'd like to see how you can debunk the finger in the dyke scenario this portrayed.

post-7652-0-47783600-1300291379_thumb.jpg

" Crews were flying missions of only 40 minutes each over the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant to limit their radiation exposure, passing over the Unit 3 reactor about four times each with loads of about 2,000 gallons of water.

The choppers dumped at least four loads on the reactor in the first 10 minutes, though television footage showed much of it appearing to disperse in the wind"

You go guys....whoo!! from an incident command standpoint, time to change tactics. It's a big fail.

post-7652-0-42205600-1300361404_thumb.jpg

The potential for flight crew contamination I assume would be somewhat mitigated by wearinf some type of NBCW suit and limiting the time each crew spent over the reactors.

That being said, what will happen to the helicopters? I would not like to be the engineer working on any of these aircraft every day or even five years from now and being unknowingly exposed to all the radioactive dust contamination secreted in every corner of the airframe

No ITG (Internet Tough Guy)here. just pure bewilderment on the logic behind some peoples thinking.

since you seem to be the man with an answer, how about offering some sage advice on why you think bucketing would be beneficial in this case.

I'd like to see how you can debunk the finger in the dyke scenario this portrayed.

Loosen your panties.

From the CBC;

The water drops were aimed at cooling the Unit 3 reactor, as well as replenishing water in that unit's cooling pool, where used fuel rods are stored, Toyama said. The plant's owner, Tokyo Electric Power Co., said earlier that the pool was nearly empty, which would cause the rods to overheat and emit even more radiation.

a typical cooling pool is 40 ft deep and (judging by pictures) has a very large circumferance....who knows how many square feet. Lets just say it's 100ft across for simplicity, the volume of water required to replenish that pool is 2,350,100 U.S. gallons.

Start bucketing....and start bucketing alot. then keep up with evaporation and keep up with the 500,000 gallons per minute to continue the proper cooling....

I try to stay neutral on most issues but I have heard too much cynicism, this problem affects all off us. Sounds to me like you would rather give up and throw in the towel than make any kind of personal sacrifice for the well being of others. Perfect avatar choice.