Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Iphone Or Android

With all the talk over on the HJ thread about relevance to helicopter operations...can someone explain to me why this thread is still in helicopter operations and not one of the other forums further down the page...

you all seem like good folk on here and it is all good stuff but I have seen more moved quicker....

It's entirely relevant to helicopter operations if it makes it easier for us guys to do our job.

Phil

I completely agree!

So here's a story. Last summer I was sent to North Bay, Ont to crew a 212 on spec. (BC boy)I was there for 10 or so days happily playing away on my iphone when it rang! It was my boss...West he said, come west. O- dark- thirty the next day off we thumped. As I landed in Chapleau, I was wondering why my phone didn't work?? Sure is pretty but why can't I close my flight plan? Well, had it not been for a forum like this I wouldn't have known this and been screwed until I got to Alberta. Assuming that is that I wasn't going to Dryden, TBay, Manitoba or Sask, Etc....We as modern aircrew in these times now rely on the cell phone for receiving the "you're hired" calls at anytime of the day. If they have your number but can't get a hold of you, you and the company could easily miss a hire.

This is all very relevant to Helicopter ops.

Nuff said?

Get the iphone for sure, just have the old one handy to use in the parts of Canada that don't support the system.

Cheers!

Waaaaaa! Two cell phones too many!

Snowedin: I thought it was the apps that make these phones Helicopter Operations topic worthy, and now I find that coverage is also an issue. Glad to have access to broad and diverse pilot & ame experience!

Thanks guys,

Dick Mitten

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I switched to a Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0) after using an iPhone 3G and then an iPhone 4. I needed to switch carriers to someone with better rural coverage, and the unlocked aspect of the "Google" nexus was attractive. I prefer the android interface even compared to a jail broken iPhone, but what I'm missing is the decent selection of aviation apps. Hopefully that is coming as android is actually quite a popular platform. If not, I guess I'll have to carry an iPad for my EFB.

• Like 2

I switched to a Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0) after using an iPhone 3G and then an iPhone 4. I needed to switch carriers to someone with better rural coverage, and the unlocked aspect of the "Google" nexus was attractive. I prefer the android interface even compared to a jail broken iPhone, but what I'm missing is the decent selection of aviation apps. Hopefully that is coming as android is actually quite a popular platform. If not, I guess I'll have to carry an iPad for my EFB.

I totally agree! The only thing I don't like about the Nexus S is that the W&B App is no where near as good as Ibal but maybe soon ....

Iphone - it talks to you

Android - you talk to it

If you are going to buy an new iphone NOT on a contract, buy it through the apple store. It will come unlocked and you can put any sim card or provider in the phone which comes in very handy if traveling overseas.

Some handy free apps.

Camscanner- Take pics and turn them into pdf files

Landtracker- Converts UTM's

Flashlight - turns flash into flashlight

ie6b- e6b calulator

sunrise clock

Isafety- AS350 light panel

bell206b3- flight manual

survival guide

talkatone- make free calls to anywhere in canada on wifi

• Like 3