214 Co-jo On Here?

Hey R22, not sure what kind of info you are looking for about 214 co-joing but if it helps I started out as seat meat on the big bad bell some 10years ago. Very exciting work, sometimes not in a good way either. All in all though it was a great stepping stone into the industry for me. It taught me the difference between a smooth pilot and the hitting the stops kind. You get to fly with high time guys who are a book knowledge when it comes to the industry and flying. A lot of great information, some bad, just have to weed out the bad info using your own common sense and asking different people the same questions. After you get over the air sickness your off to the races, it took me about a week in the bag, but persistence paid off. Now I am blessed with flying the 214's little brother. Just a note though, its not something you want to do for along time but it beats pounding the pavement, at least your in the air getting some kind of hours. Hope this helps.

HBG

The logging season can run as long as the wood isn't under 5 feet of snow. There is usually a lull in the action around mid to late Dec. to late March for the 214's because they usually log interior B.C. wood where the snow can be abundant, not the big coastal stuff where the 107 and Chinook wood is. That said a few phone calls will answer your question exactly. As far as the companies go, any one operating a 214 in western Canada will usually use low time co-jo's. Good luck.

Iv'e been an engineer at Transwest for 5 years now and i have seen alot of cojo's come and go. This year was a real good year for our co-pilots getting jobs. Five of them went off to jobs this year. They were all at transwest for about a year in average. Usually the average is 2 or 3 a year.

I will admit the thrill of logging wears off in about a week or two, definatly after the first paycheck. I can't speak for all the co-pilots, but the one's who do move on won't say there time at transwest was a waste of time. They did learn alot starting with basic hands on flying from 10,000 hour long line pilots.

I've also noticed, which school you come from dosen't really matter. It all depends on the student. I tend to believe flying is in your blood and if can survive transwest you'll most likely do all right.

Regards to all "meats of seat " and the "repairmen" that had to babysit them!

Was a hooker for way to many years before I got my licence, so for me getting in the seat and looking down was great! The money sucks though, and as such I used to just get out and log to make ends meet. As a result of my history I happened to get along well for the most part with both engineers and pilots.

Advice: Engineers can be tough to deal with as alot of them (surprisingly!) like to ferry... that is your time brother, fight for it. That said most of them have spent years on 206 and what have you, so use it! If you go into it with the attitude that it's a paid field education (albeit small) it will save your *** in the bush later on.

Advice: Pilots that log are exactly that... pilots that log. They have a tremendous amount of experience but when they do what they do none of it apply's to your near future as a pilot. If you get a job, and depending on the pilot you can learn alot. 1. The power is incredible, and while it's great for "gun runs" always get your captain to power limit all your take offs. Combine that with the 30 feet of tailboom and it makes confined space in a 206 a snap.

2. Get your endorsement! Period. You are doing all the power checks daily and the POH is in your briefcase so study and learn it. You do have a responsible job so take it seriously. The numbers don't lie...100% is 100%. It gets tough in there sometimes but believe me everyone will take you more seriously if you object ( sometimes very adamently ) according to the numbers and it will make you a friend in the engineer..revert to above. If you get the endorsement make sure that your time is SIGNED OFF, in your log book by the chief pilot.

3. Kind of reverts back to '2' but if you look in the OPs book and read closely you are only valid for 120, unless you get your endorsement. It is after all a 2 pilot machine and you ain't no pilot without the paper man. They all do things the PCC way so shoot high autos, governor failures, whatever on the ferry flights. the total time will help later in life.

4. The pilots and engineers buy all the time. No exceptions. Your licence is probably on lien from the bank so don't dither. If you end up helping the engineer your duty day is shot so, like I said, they buy.

5. No exceptions on weight. It gets very hairy up there when the hook fails, revert to 2. Learn to fix that hook. All else fails, phone the manufacturer(probably Can-Am) You are there mostly for the ride and hopefully learn something, might as well start your PDM skills early with a 10000 hr driver over your shoulder, he will after all be your worst customer ever....I promise.

Regards,

Zazu

HBG,

As an aside, I will tell you that if the wood price is right the company will log with 5 ft of snow over the wood. And if you have been doing this for a number of years odds are that you have (literaly) seen me "head down, *** up" with just my feet pokin' up through the snow looking for that infamous "choker hole"...get a bucket of them doozies and I will personally buy you a beer!

Be nice to your cojo

Regards

Zazu