Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ec130

Roo

Wow, you are a piece of work pilot5. I don't ever remember saying that all pilots cannot fly Heli-skiing. I quote from our training on Heli-skiing: "Heli-skiing itself is simply mountain flying in winter conditions with other concerns". I do know that some guys don't like it. I would rather pick a guy who has heli-skied and knows he likes the work rather than a new guy who realizes mid way through the training that it is not for him. And trust me, it has happened. So, "godly skills" no. Sure makes my life easier if someone has done it before, likes it and is looking for work.

However, it is unfortunate that a guy like you uses this site as a forum for your verbal diarrhea.

How about open the mind and recognize that perhaps you don't know everything about everything!!

Whooaa there..Never said that I knew everything, I do have an inate and keen ability to spot a bullshifter or insincerity a mile back...though! You were the one looking for the ski pilots, and still looking, and agian "still" 'looking again for heliski pilots'. If what you state above is correct then what took so long to find a "Heli Ski pilot"?? like it's some kind of a extremely rare precious stone. As far as the consenus is concerned there are no operational diferences. Fly safe and smile. I hope this is of some help and now you will have no problems finding a guy for the job given the long list of unemployed winter/mountain cerified pilots. Guys quit during training??? What? Do they have to do it with a goat or something??? still partially baffled ??

As far as keeping an open mind as stated above , I am sincerely trying!! but in the face of things that confuse me, I am forced to ask these questions purely so that I can satisfy and obtain reasonable answers to baffling questions. Thank for your support and time to answer these baffling questions.

P5

It might be correct to suggest that flying heli-skiing is not very different than operational mountain flying.

However, to stay alive and to stay employed as a heli-ski pilot you need two very distinct skills other than just a good pair of hands.

A heli-ski pilot needs to have very good judgement skills as he will be expected to fly to his, his aircraft's and the weather's limits everyday, on every landing, and (on what is often the hardest maneuver) on every pick-up.

A heli-ski pilot also needs to have good diplomacy skills. Someone once summed it up this way...."the hardest part of heli-skiing is learning how to say NO without pxssing people off".

That includes guests as well as the guides that a pilot must have a very good relationship with.

This is not about doing it with goats or sxcking someone's cxck.

It is a clear and polite explanation of a professional decision made on behalf of the safety of everyone on board.

In my 15 seasons of heli-skiing, (sorry none on EC130, the original topic) I have seen a lot of pilots come and go.

Some have had a great pair of hands, but lacked the diplomacy and judgement required to do this job on a regular basis.

These particular skills do not make a pilot 'godly', good or bad, right or wrong.

We are all different....some pilots are better suited flying to rigs off Newfoundland, some are good at hauling logs off a hillside all day, and some are suited to heli-skiing. That's life.

....and one pilot that comes to mind should get out of the industry and seek professional help. None of his posts over the years (under various names) have shown the judgement or diplomacy required a of heli-ski pilot, or for that matter any form of commercial flying.

Would you let your family ride around in the back of that guy's ship?

It might be correct to suggest that flying heli-skiing is not very different than operational mountain flying.

However, to stay alive and to stay employed as a heli-ski pilot you need two very distinct skills other than just a good pair of hands.

A heli-ski pilot needs to have very good judgement skills as he will be expected to fly to his, his aircraft's and the weather's limits everyday, on every landing, and (on what is often the hardest maneuver) on every pick-up.

A heli-ski pilot also needs to have good diplomacy skills. Someone once summed it up this way...."the hardest part of heli-skiing is learning how to say NO without pxssing people off".

That includes guests as well as the guides that a pilot must have a very good relationship with.

It is a clear and polite explanation of a professional decision made on behalf of the safety of everyone on board.

In my 15 seasons of heli-skiing, (sorry none on EC130, the original topic) I have seen a lot of pilots come and go.

Some have had a great pair of hands, but lacked the diplomacy and judgement required to do this job on a regular basis.

These particular skills do not make a pilot 'godly', good or bad, right or wrong.

We are all different....some pilots are better suited flying to rigs off Newfoundland, some are good at hauling logs off a hillside all day, and some are suited to heli-skiing. That's life.

....and one pilot that comes to mind should get out of the industry and seek professional help. None of his posts over the years (under various names) have shown the judgement or diplomacy required a of heli-ski pilot, or for that matter any form of commercial flying.

Getting back on track,

B4...jury is still out. Guides and skiiers love it. Pilots so-so.

Windows (lots of them) fog up when it gets really cold. Hot sweaty skiiers get in and open up there jackets! It uses an standard AStar mixing box and unproven hosing to get the hot (by then not so hot)bleed air to defog. Eurocopter is still working on it. Pitot tube is on the belly...so issues may arise from that in crunchy snow.

The C of G vs. Fuel ratio doesn't allow you to run the 3 pax up front with any kind of altiude (safety margins) as you have to carry more fuel and not allowed to burn it off to empty, so you are back to 2 pax in the front jsut like a B2 (but on steroids), The $$ ## dont work with a 3 million dollar 6 pax machine.

Basket is using the hook hard points so it is a big deal to change over for any fuel slinging ect.

That said...it is a cadilac for the clients as far as space and comfort go.

Fenestron...just go a little slower and a stay into wind, on the way to the stakes!

Overtalk I am touched by your concern. I see some of my comments about goats may have touched a raw nerve. Sorry! I'll try to be more sensitive next time.. :rolleyes:

It always comes to the same thing if you disagree with any of the participants in the greater Asch conformity experiment or bring up something that touches a raw nerve you get one of 2 comments. Either you need help or get out or both.. or go work at Mcdonalds... It really getting quite boring.. Can we please make an effort to rebut comments with something more original. Please.

Thanks

P5

Overtalk I am touched by your concern. I see some of my comments about goats may have touched a raw nerve. Sorry! I'll try to be more sensitive next time.. :rolleyes:

It always comes to the same thing if you disagree with any of the participants in the greater Asch conformity experiment or bring up something that touches a raw nerve you get one of 2 comments. Either you need help or get out or both.. or go work at Mcdonalds... It really getting quite boring.. Can we please make an effort to rebut comments with something more original. Please.

Thanks

P5

How bout leave animals/women,,,well just leave the derogatory comments out and you will find that catching flies with honey is easier than vinegar.

How bout leave animals/women,,,well just leave the derogatory comments out and you will find that catching flies with honey is easier than vinegar.

Yes much easier to catch with honey. Agreed Paul! Yes! also better to answer people honestly instead of lying to their face. Lack of sincerity and integrity in this industry is and continues to be be a sticking point for me, maybe I am expecting to much, or maybe.. but probably its just wishful hopeful thinking!

Let the Asch experiment continue!

P5