Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ec130

Roo

Whooaa there..Never said that I knew everything, I do have an inate and keen ability to spot a bullshifter or insincerity a mile back...though! You were the one looking for the ski pilots, and still looking, and agian "still" 'looking again for heliski pilots'. If what you state above is correct then what took so long to find a "Heli Ski pilot"?? like it's some kind of a extremely rare precious stone. As far as the consenus is concerned there are no operational diferences. Fly safe and smile. I hope this is of some help and now you will have no problems finding a guy for the job given the long list of unemployed winter/mountain cerified pilots. Guys quit during training??? What? Do they have to do it with a goat or something??? still partially baffled ??

As far as keeping an open mind as stated above , I am sincerely trying!! but in the face of things that confuse me, I am forced to ask these questions purely so that I can satisfy and obtain reasonable answers to baffling questions. Thank for your support and time to answer these baffling questions.

P5

The only thing that is baffling is you.

Thanks for the insight. Not sure until now what I was doing wrong. Whew...thanks man!!

There is really no need to comment on the rest because it is clear that you just don't get it or are too arrogant to listen to some experienced individuals.

How about this?

For those on this forum who believe that Heli-skiing is a different animal than day to day Mountain, Winter flying post here.

If you agree it is different say "different"

If you agree it is no different say "no different"

So...this hopefully will solve two issues.

1. I am completely out to lunch in advertising for heli-ski pilots and anyone can do it.

2. You need to listen more

Roo

With over 10,000 hrs in a wide variety of tasks over the years I would have to say it's different. Up to 100 take-offs and landings in a day of production group skiing sets it apart somewhat. Over Talk articulated it quite well in his post. For those that don't do it or have never done it, restrain youselves from making uninformed posts. You simply lose credibility.

The only thing that is baffling is you.

Thanks for the insight. Not sure until now what I was doing wrong. Whew...thanks man!!

There is really no need to comment on the rest because it is clear that you just don't get it or are too arrogant to listen to some experienced individuals.

How about this?

For those on this forum who believe that Heli-skiing is a different animal than day to day Mountain, Winter flying post here.

If you agree it is different say "different"

If you agree it is no different say "no different"

So...this hopefully will solve two issues.

1. I am completely out to lunch in advertising for heli-ski pilots and anyone can do it.

2. You need to listen more

Different, by quite a bit.

Interesting that all of the experienced heli ski guys agree with that statement but few (or none) of the non heli ski guys do.

Hmm,... what can we conclude from that?

Up to 100 take-offs and landings in a day of production group skiing sets it apart somewhat.

credible or exagerated??

with an industry average of 10000ft per day and the average run from 1000 to 2000m long, do the math thats far short of your claim isn't it?

Now granted I'm not stupid enough to think there isn't a few fuel runs added in, nor are all days the same, but on average, I'm stumped at your claim.

I work hard some days, but that sure doesn't mean i can claim that as a normal thing.

please explain.

credible or exagerated??

with an industry average of 10000ft per day and the average run from 1000 to 2000m long, do the math thats far short of your claim isn't it?

Now granted I'm not stupid enough to think there isn't a few fuel runs added in, nor are all days the same, but on average, I'm stumped at your claim.

I work hard some days, but that sure doesn't mean i can claim that as a normal thing.

please explain.

It is different, it's not rocket science but it's a unique operation.

As for the landings, I would do on average, with good skiers, spring hours and good weather. 70-120 landings a day. NO BS! Doing that math produces a landing very frequently, Exactly! Often times in low density snow flying a precise approach path, in some challenging winds... If you get the chance go try it, see what you think. I've got 8 seasons of it but everyday is a new day and has new challenges.

credible or exagerated??

please explain.

Credible there mags, 4 groups, 12 runs, plus fuel and lunches. Been there done that, Canadian used to have a limit of 125 per day and was close a few times,,,not many but a few.

Heli-skiing different then mountain flying,,,,hmmm,,,it is production flying so there is not alot of sightseeing along the way. When I worked out of Canmore and Banff it was no big change other than the heli-skiers used nice stakes and the wardens used these little teeny bamboo sticks with a nut taped on one end and flagging tape on the other. To me the biggest difference is the terrain can be very white and the ski operator can be very demanding or very nice. Really liked the Great Canadian Heliskiing operation years ago.

It is different, it's not rocket science but it's a unique operation.

As for the landings, I would do on average, with good skiers, spring hours and good weather. 70-120 landings a day. NO BS! Doing that math produces a landing very frequently, Exactly! Often times in low density snow flying a precise approach path, in some challenging winds... If you get the chance go try it, see what you think. I've got 8 seasons of it but everyday is a new day and has new challenges.

Yes agreed lots of landings! New challenges every day, Keeping customers happy. Whoopi thats what I have to do on any job. What about bucketing on a fires thats X amount of loads and doing snowmen there are I would say an equal amount if not more collective movements.

Every job has unique challenges granted. But when some Heliski guy tells me that this work in particular is so different from mountain winter ops that there requires a whole bunch of new training and that a guy with 1000hrs in the mountains on a 205 wont cut it I say you are full of crap.

The job I do now, over water night NVG ops has its little tricks, but it doesn't take a god like pilot to do the job, just to know what to look for to keep it safe. Do guys get trained to do this "highly specialized work" sure all the time.

Seems to me that as soon as you say the word "heliski" all of a sudden its some kind of special top secret operation that is really hard to get into.... Why???? Sounds like a bunch of secret society elitist crap to me!!!

:rolleyes:

Nuf said!

P5

P5 you are blowing this out of proportion and have ruined yet another informative thread.

It is production flying yes.

It has it's niches/quirks compared to other mountain flying yes.

Myself, I'm an ifr guy....that's where I fit.

Some guys are good ski pilots, some are seismic guys, some are IFR pitch black NVG guys, some are well round at everything. Everyone has their thing. That's life no matter what industry you are.

no one in this thread said anything about a ski pilot being top secret social elitism except for yourself.

no one told the rest of the industry to go shove it, except you made it out to seem as though that's their mandate.

lord help me....

back on topic please