Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ec130

Roo

Guest Angry Egg Driver

Hey P5...not everyone goes out and does a hammerhead over the OMNR forestry base in Dryden and thinks its okay. You make the bed you lay in...overseas is about the only place you will ever work because i think you've done yourself in here in Canada.

Credible there mags, 4 groups, 12 runs, plus fuel and lunches. Been there done that, Canadian used to have a limit of 125 per day and was close a few times,,,not many but a few.

Heli-skiing different then mountain flying,,,,hmmm,,,it is production flying so there is not alot of sightseeing along the way. When I worked out of Canmore and Banff it was no big change other than the heli-skiers used nice stakes and the wardens used these little teeny bamboo sticks with a nut taped on one end and flagging tape on the other. To me the biggest difference is the terrain can be very white and the ski operator can be very demanding or very nice. Really liked the Great Canadian Heliskiing operation years ago.

My bad sorry.

I forgot about the multiple groups.

I was thinking a-star with a single group which is what I was used to.

Hey P5...not everyone goes out and does a hammerhead over the OMNR forestry base in Dryden and thinks its okay. You make the bed you lay in...overseas is about the only place you will ever work because i think you've done yourself in here in Canada.

Lets expand on this... Who did you hear that from???

P5

A good heli-ski pilot is one who enjoys being around people, tries to accomodate them in a very different world then they are used to. One who is clean, keeps the aircraft clean, one who does not start controversies with the guests. Flying wise, one who does not scare the guests, makes the job of the guide easier by allowing them to view the run when able. One who can make the job as efficient as possible yet as safe as possible without being a cowboy. One who is not going to overload the machine yet is able to make the most of the allowable gross weight. One who does not have anything to prove as a pilot and can look around the machine and realize what the task at hand is, which is to provide safe pleasant transportation in a demanding weather environment. Was not as good as many of the folks doing this job but did do it for 5 years off and on and when working with a pleasant guide was some of the nicest flying have ever done. But it is work that requires descipline and planning for sure and sometimes more diplomacy than could muster. These folks in general are a special breed who deserve respect.

Paul and O.T. actually state what its about quite nicely.

So I have over 20,000 hrs flying, about 90% of it in the mountains.....I spend my days flying millions of lbs of timber, yes in the mountains.....does that make me capable of going heli-skiing???? I think "not"!

Does someone actually think because they have mucho longline doing seismic can come into my world and do the job ?????

Much mentoring, training, CRM and SMS is required to take on any specialized work.

I have much respect and admiration for the heli-ski group that continuously have to work in some of the harshest conditions day to day....I've tried it, and prefer moving logs thank you very much.

A lot of naive and assumeing attitudes out there I see !!!!!

J.R.........ferchristsakes, dont be such an a$$ !!!???!!

When things revert to personal attack it just says to me that the person in unable to argue the point and given the small nature of the brain reverts to a personal attack... A typical..

H56 never said some training wasn't needed....Don't think you need to be special in any way though... thats just bollocks!!!

I understand that its an inherent requirement for all people to want feel important, and I guess its OK if the "heli-ski dudes" want to to shroud what they do in mystery ,fancy columbia jackets and trendy footwear.. Thats fine. My apologies! They need to feel important too.. I get it!!!! Really I do!! They can feel special I am ok with that! :)

P5

When things revert to personal attack it just says to me that the person in unable to argue the point and given the small nature of the brain reverts to a personal attack... A typical..

H56 never said some training wasn't needed....Don't think you need to be special in any way though... thats just bollocks!!!

I understand that its an inherent requirement for all people to want feel important, and I guess its OK if the "heli-ski dudes" want to to shroud what they do in mystery ,fancy columbia jackets and trendy footwear.. Thats fine. My apologies! They need to feel important too.. I get it!!!! Really I do!! They can feel special I am ok with that! :)

P5

let it go man......take a deep breath......count to 10....let the so called "ski dudes" hang 10 all day on the mountain.

it'll all be ok

you need a hug :D