Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Stars In Sask

"nonprofit Shock-Trauma Air Rescue Society (STARS) $5 million in this budget year, and $10 million more annually over a 10-year agreement."

Used BK 117 EMS equipped nicely painted with happy kids on it $ 2.3 million x 2 = 4.6 million approx. So from the article the machines are paid for in first year if they had to be purchased. Does it really take $100 million over the next 10 years to operate two old BK 117's never mind all the additional funding from industry, the lotteries, the calendars, etc.

The initial idea was to use the 139 but the price tag of around 13 mio a pice makes the 117 look a lot more attractive. I assume they would use their existing 117s since they will be replaced by the 139s anyway.

ya when I first heard about this in the rumour mill a while back I heard it would be 117's

Just wonder if that's actually what they are going with.

"nonprofit Shock-Trauma Air Rescue Society (STARS) $5 million in this budget year, and $10 million more annually over a 10-year agreement."

Used BK 117 EMS equipped nicely painted with happy kids on it $ 2.3 million x 2 = 4.6 million approx. So from the article the machines are paid for in first year if they had to be purchased. Does it really take $100 million over the next 10 years to operate two old BK 117's never mind all the additional funding from industry, the lotteries, the calendars, etc.

I was wondering the same thing... For a non-profit society it seems that there is an awful lot of profit there for the taking.

Equipped price AW 139 $12 million USD and to be generous another $8 million EMS, Hoist, Night Sun, NVG, etc. That leaves 60 million over ten years from the province never mind the industry contributions. Saskatchewan is great province don't get me wrong but if we ask all the STARS Charity contributors in Alberta that gave money to purchase these AW 139's I am sure they won't be happy. I guess STARS has to do something with the AW 139's as they can't land at any elevated helipads in Alberta because the pads aren't structurally designed to support the weight. Kinda thought somebody would have researched that prior to purchase. Also heard they can't take the AW 139's into the mountains because the equipped weights are so high that any landings they make will be a permanent one.

• 4 weeks later...