Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

New Duty Time Regs?

I know, as dxpheli mentioned in another post, that there could be changes in to ftdd regulations coming down the pipes, to come more inline with EU/FAA rules.

Seems as though 12 hour down from 14 will be the most probable result.

How's this going to affect everyone?

I for one, am now in the EMS world where we work 12 hour shifts anyway, but the odd time we do use the full 14 hours if circumstances dictate so.

So 99% of the time it won't affect me, but be interesting to see the ramifications for going over 12 (if that's what it's changed to)

It seems that, once again, the fixed wing world is dictating what the heli world should do. I would like to see what, in a heli pilots opinin, a duty day is. Does it include how long you sit all day waiting to do a flight? If you are fogged in for 4 hours do you still count it? If your machine is broken, and an engineer fixes it late at night, and now it needs a ground run, will you claim duty day even though you know it will not fly the next day unless you do the ground run?