Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The attendance numbers for HAC's show in Vancouver came out yesterday. There were 750 people that attended this year's show despite it being held in Vancouver, which tends to usually attract more people.

What does HAC have to do in order to attract more people to this Canadian show? What are the missing elements? Should it be held in the fall? Is there a a perception that HAC is for owners and management only? And before someone asks, no I'm not posting this thread on behalf of HAC.

Mike

I heard a lot of comments about the time of year (March / April) HAC is held being somewhat inconvenient as most operators are gearing up for the upcoming season. Perhaps if it were held in November, January, or February more would attend as that's more the "off-season" for most operators.

As far as location, moving it around the country is appropriate as it allows some who may not want to travel accross country to attend, as well as supports the local economy in various parts of our GREAT Country:)

Time of the year

Use the internet, more virtual hundreds/thousands of Canadian aviation folks are on Linkedin now, though no group for the HAC exists nor does an "event", people can connect, folks can organize get together's & it offers forms of advertising for vendors.

Make the show unforgettable experiences. Its the same most years, same place same people same vendors. Old.

Get more new vendors, offer first year incentives to attend the show; how many of the vendors are the same year end year out? I didn't go this year though the last 6/7 years mostly the same vendor old vendors.

HAC needs to become more new wave. Does the HAC use twitter? Facebook? Linkedin? Nope.

750 in attendance is such a small figure in the reality of things.

Time of the year

Use the internet, more virtual hundreds/thousands of Canadian aviation folks are on Linkedin now, though no group for the HAC exists nor does an "event", people can connect, folks can organize get together's & it offers forms of advertising for vendors.

Make the show unforgettable experiences. Its the same most years, same place same people same vendors. Old.

Get more new vendors, offer first year incentives to attend the show; how many of the vendors are the same year end year out? I didn't go this year though the last 6/7 years mostly the same vendor old vendors.

HAC needs to become more new wave. Does the HAC use twitter? Facebook? Linkedin? Nope.

750 in attendance is such a small figure in the reality of things.

HAC is now listed as a 'Company" on Linkedin though it does not hold a "group" for discussion nor does it have "events" optionsetc.

It's very likely more industry folks would find it more convenient in the late fall than in the spring. That would also offer the advantage of the summer's outstanding issue being fresh in everyone's mind.

Unfortunately, the growing number of exhibitors at the show pretty much precludes visiting other than the larger cities because the smaller locales don't have facilities of the required size.

As to the makeup of the membership, there is a category for individuals that is reasonable. Like any other group, numbers count so, if you want to sit 'outside' and whine about it being an 'owner's club' do so. If you want a voice, join as an individual and recruit others of like thinking.

I'm sure the timing right after heli-expo is an advantage and disadvantage all at the same time. On the plus side, people have their exhibitions pieces handy. On the negative side, people may have blown their show budget already, and don't feel like extending their travel.

I've never been to HAC, but from what I've heard, it ain't a lot of fun.

Just a couple comments from my point of view as I have attended a lot of shows in the past decades.

Having HAC in the fall means it must compete with the NBAA (National Business Aviation Association) who have the prime time in the fall locked up. The NBAA convention, for anyone who hasn't been to it, is huge. By far the largest aviation convention in North America. I am gusssing 3-4 times bigger than HAI with 25,000 attendees.

It started out as just corporate aviation but has morphed into all aspects with all the large RW OEMs in attendence. Also all the suppliers (1,700ish). This event is very expensive for exhibitors and 99% of their new products are introduced at the show.

The exhibitors determine the show and the attendees determine the value for a company to attend.

Add in all the other larger and smaller shows, in Canada, NATA, CBAA, ATAC,AME Symposiums; internationally HAI, ALEA, AEA,AAAA, Paris, Farnborough, Berlin, Dubai,Singapore, Santiago etc etc. Exhibiting at shows is a very expensive proposition. On the El-gigantic side of OEMs I recall talking to the public affairs VP at Airbus and he said the Paris show cost the company upwards of $25 million when you add in all the lost time by the executives. You can just imagine the annual budget for Bell or Eurocopter or even the smaller OEMS such as NAT or Technisonic to cover shows.

When you look at HAC with 750 attendees I give them credit for snagging the number and quality of suppliers that they do get for such a small show when compared to some of the other ones that the suppiers can chose from with their advertising budget.

I think it would be difficult to hold HAC in smaller centres due to the lack of hotels with sufficent space for exhibitors and rooms for attendees and the exhibitors' staff.

I've never been to HAC, but from what I've heard, it ain't a lot of fun.

Unbelievable what some will post.

I HAVE been there and it is not only 'fun', but I have a chance because of my involvement, to do something for the industry that has provided for me for over 40 years.

Unbelievable... :blink: