Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bailey Thread

Mark, I have to side with the rest of the above posters on this.

I agree that as a moderator you could possibly have deleted/edited or warned posters who flame individuals, but if you are going to remove entire threads that criticize individual companies, then you had better remove the C+ and Ornge threads. In both of those (and many others) people made criticizing remarks about operators.

Mark, By looking at your profile you have been a member since 2003, so you know that some of these threads can "go south" quickly.

As a new moderator I think you have shot from the hip by deleting the topic. There where many people saying the person was an A one person. It was only after a few people said that they were not buddies the thread was deleted.

This isn't the "Love Boat" site

• Like 4

"In the interest of Bailey's future success, perahps it best to cap this thread now and forget the past and move on.I wish Bailey all the success in the future and hope that they strive for succes under the auspices of gentlemanly behavior.

P5"

so explain to me why you post this, p5, and then start a censorship thread again??? :wacko:

as mods, we get the flack from you guys/girls when the flaming gets out of hand... if we do step in, we get the flack 'cos we jumped the gun...

simply put, have your opinion.. state your opinion.. that's what this is all about.. but keep the personal attacks/insults to yourself and guys like myself and mark won't have to step in...

i did not think post #3000 for me would have to be on something like this... :unsure:

• Like 2

"In the interest of Bailey's future success, perahps it best to cap this thread now and forget the past and move on.I wish Bailey all the success in the future and hope that they strive for succes under the auspices of gentlemanly behavior.

P5"

so explain to me why you post this, p5, and then start a censorship thread again??? :wacko:

as mods, we get the flack from you guys/girls when the flaming gets out of hand... if we do step in, we get the flack 'cos we jumped the gun...

simply put, have your opinion.. state your opinion.. that's what this is all about.. but keep the personal attacks/insults to yourself and guys like myself and mark won't have to step in...

i did not think post #3000 for me would have to be on something like this... :unsure:

Yer doin a great job twinny. Also the other mods. If anything the standard needs to be set higher since I think those of us who have been here for some years would agree that the tone is not as positive as it once was.

anyways.............mods. keep up the good work.

• Like 2

Well I come take a peek here multiple times a day when I'm able to and I have a feeling I'm only one of many. The controversial topics are entertaining and I find many of the participants engaging and intelligent, even some of the non-pilots :D

To remove posts and threads because they offend your advertising customers or whatever is pure BS, it goes against everything free and democratic. I look forward to seeing what's coming down the pipe on this forum, it's a great way to stay industry informed even if it borders on gossipy who cares, if someone gets out of line they are usually alerted to that fact.

Sorry the ability to delete or "censor" posts is the right of the owner of the site. Vertical is not a "public" site. It is owned by a company and therefore they have to answer to their advertisers, subscribers and members. If you don't like it, because of the democracy you speak of, you have the right to start your own site and forum and go at it. I have never seen a moderator delete a thread because of what may be seen as information that may be damaging to a sponsor. I think most of the times threads are shut down or deleted because the people left posting on them are proving to us all, and to paraphrase Mark Twain, "its one thing to have people think your a moron, its another to make posts that eliminate all doubt." I know I have use that one in the past but it is apt.

• Like 3

Sorry the ability to delete or "censor" posts is the right of the owner of the site. Vertical is not a "public" site. It is owned by a company and therefore they have to answer to their advertisers, subscribers and members. If you don't like it, because of the democracy you speak of, you have the right to start your own site and forum and go at it.

You sir a gentleman and a scholar! The truest of words yet spoken. Dont like it people? GTFO---->

• Like 1

Hmmmm....interesting too think that if one has a forum or forums on their site, they would be quite naive not anticipating difference of opinions, disagreements/arguing, and bickering ???!!

Is that not what freedom of speech is? Our demographic rights?

I may not agree with P5's opinion of D.P......but that is his right too voice his opinion, and I happen too like D.P.....but did not find it!

I concur, the censorship was uncalled for....but that is just my 2 cents worth!

• Like 3

Hmmmm....interesting too think that if one has a forum or forums on their site, they would be quite naive not anticipating difference of opinions, disagreements/arguing, and bickering ???!!

Is that not what freedom of speech is? Our demographic rights?

I may not agree with P5's opinion of D.P......but that is his right too voice his opinion, and I happen too like D.P.....but did not find it!

I concur, the censorship was uncalled for....but that is just my 2 cents worth!

Man I hate a bad internet connection....."but did not find it offensive" is what I was trying too say!!

• Like 1

I think the role of the moderator should be to remove any hateful, insulting or slanderous remarks, especially if the target person is not available to defend themselves.

I don't think their role is to remove the whole thread although they can perhaps freeze it if there appears to be no hope of resurrecting a reasonable discussion.

Although bad taste and dumb comments seem to be abundant here, it is what it is. We are all free to add to it, ignore it or put up with it as we choose.

However, personal attacks on third parties should be edited out forthwith.

Cheers . . . . .

• Like 1

Sorry the ability to delete or "censor" posts is the right of the owner of the site

Absolutely right, and I don't think anyone is debating that. However, if I patronize a restaurant and I am unhappy with the service, should I a) say nothing and vote with my feet, or b ) voice my concerns to the manager so he at least can make an informed decision on his business practice.

I would hope Mike would prefer people tell him if they are dissatisfied rather that just one day wondering why no one is visiting the site any longer.

Vertical is not a "public" site.

Well I guess it would depend on your definition of "public"

Sorry the ability to delete or "censor" posts is the right of the owner of the site. Vertical is not a "public" site. It is owned by a company and therefore they have to answer to their advertisers, subscribers and members. If you don't like it, because of the democracy you speak of, you have the right to start your own site and forum and go at it.

I guess it is the owner's right to delete posts but it pretty well defeats the point of a public forum. I think any forum is, by definition, public as in "soapbox in the town square". I don't think membership here is at all limited.

The point of a public forum is that anyone can have their say and this should include the good, the bad and the ugly. As I said above, the moderator should only remove hateful material or personal attacks on the defenseless. Everything else is merely a reflection of what people can say if they have a keyboard and an anonymous account.

The viewers will vote with their mouse clicks as to whether their time here is wasted or not. If traffic falls off, then it is the advertisers who will probably start to ask questions.

Cheers…