Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

External Hydraulic Pack

ThreePer

The ones I was involved with, had a gas powered motor running the hydraulic pump and ram.

It was a substantial sized ram to get the cutting power, even using mechanical advantages with leverage. The cutter was custom made shear that could cut 6-8". Worked well even though it was on the heavy side.

I'll browse around and see what I can find

If you're buidling an actual tree topper and if you'd consider it, you should look into a servo actuated electric saw (chainsaw perhaps), I can see an immediate weight savings as well as simplicity in that.

Not building an actual tree topper no but thanks for the info. I realize I am not showing all my cards here so it is tough.

We have a gas powered hydraulic pump right now too and I am trying to eliminate it from our project. Too many moving parts and too heavy. My plan was to use something like a snow plow hydraulic pack (but in 24v of course).

Princess auto has most of the parts I need, just gotta find a solid 24VDC power pack. I think I have found a few online though.

How about using pressurized air from the compressor?

It's been a few years, but I used to work for a company that had a grapple and a cone harvester which used an "hydraulic" ram which operated on air pressure.

A C20B makes about 90 psi at 100% torque. Run an airline down the longline, a little accumulator with a checkvalve and you are in business.

Of course, that was in the days when STCs were optional. :)

• 2 weeks later...