Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

John Shultz.....50 Years

hlcptr

Guest Bullet Remington

Cap:

Last time I heard anything about/from Lockie, he was in Thailand, workin for Cougar. Is he still around??? I have heard some rumours, but nothing concrete, concerning his health. You or anybody else have anything on him.

Lost Dave Rankin, couple years ago, and was rumoured a couple of more had followed him.

D.B. still flogging Bell parts in Ontario?

Man, it's nice to hear some of the old guys being remembered here, and talk of some of their more "cultured" past times!!!

Bruised Armpit -------thanks for that pal. It's been duly printed off for my collection. If/when you see John next, ask him to describe an event at Marathon, Ont that resulted in a suset picture being taken of him. The sunset is taking place behind him and he is featured in complete profile, indicating to the world what he thinks of one particular S-55. I'd say more, but I'll save the laughs for you. :lol:

BR ----last time I saw Lockie was in halifax about '94 and he was Cougar's CE. Didn't know he was in Thailand and didn't know about any health problem. Let's say there was a certain 'crowd' one time that worked **** hard and played **** hard and sometimes that catches up to you later on. It would have done no good for there to have been unions either because they all would have thrown out of the unions. :lol:

Didn't know either that Dave Rankin took his tools upstairs........hope he got there before bar-closing hours. :lol: If a guy by the name of Tom Murray knew he was coming, then he'd make sure that it stayed open. :lol:

"Cultured" eh? That's a new one to add to the list of about 35 other ones. I'll throw in the names Mac Gordon and "Doc" Demoraugh, just to keep the subject rolling and to get Blackmac back in here. :lol:

Can't help all the 'smileys' because this crowd is responsible for many 'adventures' , that break me up remembering and the 'adventures' are either too long for here or are unprintable.

• Like 1

Add my thanks for the article, Armpit, although I'm pretty sure John wouldn't be overly impressed by some of the reporter's verbiage.

When it comes to the subject of 'legends' there are just too many names that can't be ignored, and the list is too long to even attempt here. Those like Boughner and Porco certainly belong along with Schultz and Fleming; and those like Crowe, Jacques and Hesse, for all manner of reasons; and the Carl Agars and Paul Ostranders of our world who were never reluctant to share the gen or the 'glory.'

If you ever enjoy a meeting of the 'Twirlybirds' you'll get some idea of what it's really all about. Hobnobbing with guys named above, as well as Hiller, Piasecki and Sikorsky, just adds another dimension to it all.

Despite ourselves, we all tend to become very human when our vintages really start to show - and thank God! We sure as **** took the long road getting there - as even a 'sprog' like Cap (forgive me, young fella :D ) can tell you.

My hat's off to the Schultzes and such of our industry. Good times and bad, stupid ideas and great ones, joys and tragedies, the experience has always been more than worthwhile, and it's truly great to have known them all - 'large' and 'small.' B)

Downwash ----you definitely have a way with words and well said pal.

Longliner ----- Ed Porco was one of my personal 'idols" that I listened to intently (if you could get the buggar to talk) and whose background was 'something else'. It's a big change from the Golden Hawks and flying F-86 Sabres to humpin' through the sky in a 205. When Ed told me that that MOT were jumpin' on him years ago because his BP was too low, I broke up completely....it so aptly described the man right there because he NEVER got excited about anything.....that and NEVER having his boots laced up. I think it was against his religion. :lol::lol: He was a first class guy, an exceptional pilot and I'm proud to have known him and called him "friend".

Helidude ---- knew Jacques well and he is in Quebec somewhere, not flying and has disappeared from aviation. I've been told that he was involved in what he was doing before entering aviation. I hope that this is not the case, but life was not very kind to Jacques as it was. We were both flogging 205's in Ft. McMurray in '81, he had a 'problem' and disappeared after that. This is the first I've seen his name mentioned since then.