Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

John Shultz.....50 Years

hlcptr

Guest Bullet Remington

Cap:

Sorry, Sir, I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Doc nor Mac. I do recall hearing their names though. Never taken in vain either.

Last time I saw Lockie was pretty well along the same time frame as you. Probably closer to late 92 or the summer of 93. I was running the wires and cutting the hole in the belly of a 76 to hook up a Bambi bucket with Lockie and Dave. And lookin after the 61, contract style.

I knew Lockie was the Chief Wrench bender. Dave later moved into QA for Cougar. Bob C. was the Director type. That would have been probably around 94. At that time I was employed by another government operator (?) as Chief Wrench bender.

I miss Dave. Never was in a "good" mood, except when surrounded by his grand kids, but one of the best mechs, and friends I ever had. Both he and Lockie have forgotten more than I'll ever know, about machines and living life!

I believe Lockie went over to Thailand as the Chief Mech for Cougar 'off-shore." This would have been when JJ had a notion he just might give the Cod father a run at the off-shore dealings.

I don't have much contact with anybody down that way. So to be honest, I have no idea of who is doing whom, so to speak.

Nice to hear them thought of, I do appreciate you bring up Lockie. Great person, mechanic, and not to shabby at parting either! :up: I sure do hope he's doing well.

Culture comes in many different varities. Some are High class, some are low class, some are just down right great for life. I'm partial to the latter! ;)

It's like stating that "I have my standards" Well, if ya don't like these, I do have others!! :D:D

Guest CHEVY II

For those interested... Lauchie Currie is just fine and still in YHZ, but no longer directly related to the Cougar/VIH web thingy, marriage, whatever! He has his own AMO now and both of his son's are chips off the ole' block. Lauchie has taught me volumes about aviation over the years and how not to break the machine and how to bail yourself out when you do! :oops: Thx Lauchie! :up:

Terry Maybee is another ex Cougar....engineer as of late...raw deal, 'nuff said :down: who also taught me plenty. He sure knows the 61 inside and out and when someone refers to that machine as a "MAYTAG" you can bet he's part of the team maintaining it! Onto greener pastures I hope! ;) Thx Terry! :up:

Dave Rankin...rest his soul, was one of the first engineers I encountered when I started in this industry :shock: ...and he scared the livin bejezuz out of me. He had me seriously considering my choice of professions :blink: After I learned to bark back at him things were good :P

He was a man that was very particular about his scotch and even more particular about the Pilots that flew the machine he maintained...I think he coined the phrase "and don't f-ing break it Colonel" :shock:

John Shultz...I only met him once in '91, while taking my training thru Canadian @ the Kelly Lk. base in Sudbury. He landed in a 205, and after I found out who he was, it was like he was a GOD, to a younger and very impressionable 100hr wonder. He took the time to speak to all of us there at the time and heard tales of 500's and such. :up:

What's that saying he use to say .... .... .... .... and the shiny side up?

Guest Bullet Remington

C II:

Thanks for the update! I was doing the "hunt and Pecker" thingy same time you were.

Great to hear Locki's doing o.k. Any body doing business with hime will get a square deal, and top notch maintenance. He's probably still got 12 pounds of files in his box he scrounged off me!

Geez, I haven't heard anybody speak that expression of dave's since i last worked with him! Yessir, that was Dave! Scared the livinbejasus outa a truckload of youngsters!

Again Thanks for the update!, Preshaded.

BR

Guest Bullet Remington

CII:

That's probaly it! Fer Gawd's sake, if he do let ya use a file, always ask him how to use the file card to clean 'em.

Wanna really dive him snakey, grap a file, a file cards and start rubbing the file card across it wrong!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest CHEVY II

Bahahahaha...it's been done!

If you ever see Lauchie with that "look" :angry: in his eye and he starts to roll his sleeves up...be afraid, be very afraid and run like ****! :shock:

Guest Bullet Remington

ROTFLMFAO!!

Yeah! Saw that look when that young conehead (avionocs) guy from Cougar helped himself to one of Lockie's files. The tall skinny fella with the dark hair.

I thought Lockie scared him so badly he was gonna wet himself.

Ya know, he never again would touch ANYTHING in Lockie's tool box!!

:D:D

What's the name of Lauchie's AMO and where's his butt parked anyway?....and thanks for the updates guys.

BR ---- Mac Gordon 'bought it' in '69 on a hill just north of Baie Comeau, PQ and Doc had a heart-attack at the controls of an Otter in northern Manitoba about the same time. I was back flying F/W at the time and just happened to over-fly the lake he went into minutes after. He went into a nice shallow descent, she greased herself onto the lake, and lazily flipped over. I found nothing but the floats on the surface and his 'swamper sitting on top of one.

Shared a meal on a couple of occaisions with Shultzy.

What an incredible guy. He defys the sterotype of the CHL EMS pilot. He was always welcoming to us Kiwi's and Aussies and is always quick with a smoke and grin at the door.

On behalf of Scotty and myself and all the other lads from downunder: bottoms up to you JS.

Truely a legend.

This one time at bandcamp in TO; I snuck into the island at night in a raging blizzard (unforecast as usual - cheers quebec awws..) and there is Shultzy and Craig just pulling in the 76.

Shultzy sees me running for the door and shouts:

"What the #### are you flying around in this #### for?" followed by a massive grin.

"#### Shultzy! I could ask you the same thing. What the #### is all this white stuff? So bloody much of it that I had to leave at night so I couldn't see it..."

Shultzy howls and elaborates that they had the same issue coming in from Kingston.

Shultzy never took anything seriously there and would stand around muttering "lets just go #### flying" as the WX check is done for the umpteenth time by another paranoid captain. Gotta laugh.

To sum up JS. You pull up to TO in a thunderstorm, he is the guy running the truck out to help you pull the machine in while the others stand and watch. Humbling considering who he is.

....now if he kicked the fags, he might be the first to do 60 years!

Onya John. Gimme a call and come chase some cows in a 47. :)