Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Waterton Nation Park

I have to drop off a person at Waterton, the town, not the park. I can see the town is in the park. Does anyone have knowledge of any approved landing spots?

A friend of my son has a big place, lots of acres and is allowing us to land, but I can not find anything definitive on landing in the Park.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have to drop off a person at Waterton, the town, not the park. I can see the town is in the park. Does anyone have knowledge of any approved landing spots?

A friend of my son has a big place, lots of acres and is allowing us to land, but I can not find anything definitive on landing in the Park.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

There is a Parks pad in the N.E. end of the park across from Waterton Lk. Grass pad adjacent to the road into town. Calling the park @ 403 859 2224 for prior permission might be something you'd want to consider. I can't remember names as it has been awhile. Waterton was a great place to work, take a camera.

Ken

Definitely phone the main park office first, if you want to land inside the park boundary.

X2. To clarify, I spent 3 years as a dope on a rope contracting to parks. Even though we were contracted to all the parks in general (Glacier, Mt. Revelstoke, Yoho, Banff, Waterton), the pilot flying at the time always had at least a "verbal" permission. It is in CARS somewhere regarding a 2000 ft agl unless prior permission has been obtained. If this is a private flight then I would call the Parks office that you are concerned about. Just be courtious and be ready to send them a plan of approach if asked. They just don't want you chasing grizzly bears, wolf, or whatever turns your fancy. They will appreciate it.

No landings allowed without a permit, check this site out ...

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-97-150/page-1.html

AIRCRAFT ACCESS

2. (1) Subject to subsection (2) and section 5, no person shall take off or land an aircraft in a park except in a park set out in column I of an item of the schedule, at a take-off and landing location set out in column II of that item.

(2) No person shall cause an aircraft to take off or land in a park set out in column 1 of any of items 1 to 9 and 11 of the schedule unless that person is the holder of a permit.

Waterton National Park is NOT listed in Column I

Thanks, all.

I received a polite email from the park saying they restrict helicopter landings to park business, like wildlife counts, searches and the like.

I guess Pincher Creek is the next closest.

Better than the R-Cumps paying you a visit ;)