Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Alpine Helicopters Foriegn Owned?

I was reading the latest FDT thread and came across the HAC website and read a couple of there letters regarding Alpine Helicopters being foreign owned while still being allowed to operate freely in Canada. Ironically Alpine still shows as a member on the HAC website even though there are multiple letters protesting there operations. However all this protesting what will this actually accomplish and who is behind it? I am sure Alpine has been in business in Canada as long or longer than some of these operators that are protesting there eligibility to the Canadian Market. Realistically what will the out come be if successful? maybe they will be given some time to a possible restructuring of the shares through some canadian holding companies? Do the operators protesting actually think they will gain business through loss of contracts or customers or is it all about principles? Doesn't CHC now foreign owned have some bases on the east coast or is that through a holding company or subsidiary company? I obviously don't have all the facts but am interested to hear others opinions on the topic.

personally I don't care who owns them. what i care about is that they continue to operate, continue to employ hard working canadians (many great guys and gals work there)and continue to better the industry in canada.

those who think this is a way to grab more of the market, give your head a shake, you're probably failing in that already for other reasons

personally I don't care who owns them. what i care about is that they continue to operate, continue to employ hard working canadians (many great guys and gals work there)and continue to better the industry in canada.

those who think this is a way to grab more of the market, give your head a shake, you're probably failing in that already for other reasons

I am of the same opinion and think it is a feeble attempt for a handful of local operators to sling some mud and hopefully gain from the situation however I highly doubt anything will change except for a minor restructuring of ownership if that. Most countries will protect there market from foreign operators which is good but the big players will operate where ever they wish as long as it is profitable and they can play by the rules or manipulate the law. So in this case I doubt it will be too much for the lawyers fix.

All true, but unfortunately the law does not agree.

CHC had to restructure and form a Canadian majority owned company to continue operating in Halifax (CHC Canada ltd.) They also have had to re-register any Canadian registered a/c operating in foreign lands.

So I would suppose that if the law is to be applied equally, then Alpine would have to make some changes to their ownership structure as well.

I am sure Alpine has been in business in Canada as long or longer than some of these operators that are protesting there eligibility to the Canadian Market. Realistically what will the out come be if successful?

Alpine has been in business for a very long time however how long they've been in business wasn't the issue, the issue is that the current owners of the company are not Canadian (by definition). Canada (as well as the U.S.+ many other countries) have foreign ownership rules for aviation companies and Alpine was (is?) foreign owned. The law is supposed to apply equally to all Canadians so some operators felt Alpine would have a competitive advantage for numerous reasons by being foreign owned. The letters and background to it all had been posted on the HAC website as it was all going on and I believe the issue had a resolution from the Minister a month or two ago. It was the precedence that it could potentially set for all aviation companies in Canada that was the real issue. btw-the company I work for does not compete with Alpine.

All true, but unfortunately the law does not agree.

CHC had to restructure and form a Canadian majority owned company to continue operating in Halifax (CHC Canada ltd.) They also have had to re-register any Canadian registered a/c operating in foreign lands.

So I would suppose that if the law is to be applied equally, then Alpine would have to make some changes to their ownership structure as well.

Outwest:

Do you mean that CHC WILL HAVE TO re-register and Canadian registered A/C operating in Foreign lands?

I was just checking and we have at least 20 aircraft currently operating around the world with Canadian register on them. I have not heard of any plans to change them but that does not mean it will not happen. Lots of things happen at CHC I do not hear about.

Could be one reason why they are going to Cayman registered aircarft?

Halifax will not be a issue soon since the aircraft in Halifax will all have Cougar on the side of them. This will end any CHC aircarft operating in Canada for the time being.

Do you mean that CHC WILL HAVE TO re-register and Canadian registered A/C operating in Foreign lands?

Could be one reason why they are going to Cayman registered aircarft?

That is my understanding of the reason for the move to Cayman reg.

Halifax will not be a issue soon since the aircraft in Halifax will all have Cougar on the side of them. This will end any CHC aircarft operating in Canada for the time being

That's true, but I would think that Sylvan will be chasing other work in Canada.......

I was reading the latest FDT thread and came across the HAC website and read a couple of there letters regarding Alpine Helicopters being foreign owned while still being allowed to operate freely in Canada. Ironically Alpine still shows as a member on the HAC website even though there are multiple letters protesting there operations. However all this protesting what will this actually accomplish and who is behind it? I am sure Alpine has been in business in Canada as long or longer than some of these operators that are protesting there eligibility to the Canadian Market. Realistically what will the out come be if successful? maybe they will be given some time to a possible restructuring of the shares through some canadian holding companies? Do the operators protesting actually think they will gain business through loss of contracts or customers or is it all about principles? Doesn't CHC now foreign owned have some bases on the east coast or is that through a holding company or subsidiary company? I obviously don't have all the facts but am interested to hear others opinions on the topic.

Woman, you are clueless.

THE CANADIAN TRANSPORTATION ACT CLEARLY STATES THAT ALL CANADIAN TRANSPORTATION COMPANIES MUST BE 75% CANADIAN OWNED. THE "JONES ACT" IN BUBBALAND SAYS THE SAME THING.

Alpine has been 100% American owned for more than 6 years.

What about this situation do you not understand?

Woman, you are clueless.

THE CANADIAN TRANSPORTATION ACT CLEARLY STATES THAT ALL CANADIAN TRANSPORTATION COMPANIES MUST BE 75% CANADIAN OWNED. THE "JONES ACT" IN BUBBALAND SAYS THE SAME THING.

Alpine has been 100% American owned for more than 6 years.

What about this situation do you not understand?

We all know you're correct, we also know that laws can, and do change when challenged.

What we do know as well, your response to the OP is very disrespectful and rude.

If you don't like her opinion, or her questions, show some maturity and walk away, You've simply added your crusty old fart opinion once again.

People called for my head to be banned...I suggest you get banned.

• Like 2