Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ifr Renewl

Hi there,

Quick question:

My last Canadian Fixed-wing PPC was Jan of 2002(heavy turbine type rating). I'm flying helicopters now and am wondering if I need to write the INRAT again, or if I can just do a ride to renew. Any input would help,

Thanks,

AR

PS If I do a Group 4 Helicopter IR, will that suffice to hold off the INRAT?

If your Canadian INRAT has not expired that is it is less than four years since you wrote it than you can keep your IFR in force by doing a ride on any group of AC Gruop one Multi IFR, Group two centerline thrust ,group three single engine or group four helicopter. If you have written the fixed wing inrat than transport will "Deem the helicopter exam writtten" . The only thing is that when you ride on a helicopter your rating changes to as four and your group one will not be current after the two year aniversary date. When it comes to the ATPL they will not recognize the fixed wing exams and you will have to write the ATPL H exams. When you conduct the ride on the helicopter they will call it a renewal ride and you only have to do two approaches and a hold instead of the whole ride. Even though it would seem to be an initial if you haven't held that group before ,there is a minimum training requirement for this performance and you can dig it out of the TC site in the document collection.

Clear as mud?

Thanks, clear as mud! No, that helps. The only question I have is that I wrote the INRAT years ago, but the PPC only expired last Feb 1, do I now have two years in which to get current again? I've got both Canadian and American ATPL's. US being current, Canadian not, due to lapsed IFR.

AR