Drill Movers

Guest Angry Egg Driver

500hrs

You are not really serious are you.I would love to see a 500 hr pilot in the Northcoast Mtns moving a drill at 6000' in an Astar.

Send me their resume if you know someone...lol

I have been quoted 500hrs to be considered for a longlining job, let alone being allowed near a drill, but that was in a few of the Ontario companies.

Most are looking towards the 1000hr+ range.

Either way, it is just as out of reach for the low-timers who are starting at the dark end of the pipeline.

Shouldnt matter how many hours. I was movin drills at 300 but was lucky it all went well. You should however have some good references from the drillers.. Not just put there because you have the minimum required hours. Somebody could get hurt not to mention the costs involved for the customer.

AED I think the majority of Diamond Drilling in Canada is in the Barrens, thus the 500-600 hour mark and obviously moving a drill in the mountains is a whole other story, much like flying in the Barrens in the winter is a whole other story, I would rather move a drill onto a 7000 foot razor back than any frozen lake a sea level near Baker Lake in the winter! :o So it should be up to the discretion of the chief pilot if he thinks his pilot is capable in safely moving a drill! No?

• Like 2

I wonder how many of us on this forum have flown the old Miramar job or the new Newmont...Or the McFauld's lake area, Or in Raglan for that mather, I know I have and im sure im not the only one...that being said ive been moving drills on and off for the last 8 years, As much as I enjoy moving drills, it brings you to some highly undesireble places for some very long rotations. It is some of the best money, the VFR world has to offer...But money is not everything, and yes the drill camps have changed trememdously in the last years, where most of the nice perks are now all gone. You cant even fart anymore without having someone report you!!! It makes for some not so fun places to work... I needed a change for a season or two so ive picked up a job flying a Medium for this year call it a change of scenery :) so maybee I can enjoy a beer with dinner ounce in a while!!!

Fly safe boys and keep the blue side up!

I'd have to agree with Skidmark and FBPILOT.

When the guys with the talent to move the drills are in demand and the customers have taken all fun out of their job, the guys that don't mind being in the bush will gravitate to the fun stuff.

The customers with the most fun on the job don't usually have problems getting pilots.

Where the programs have no fishing, filling out manifests for every move, 6 hours max after longlining a .4, shut down for every passenger getting on/off, no beer etc., lots of money is required to keep guys going back. If you work in a crappy place, it either better be FUN or lucrative or ideally, both.

• Like 2

It's all about the conversion of Jet Fuel to Noise!

Absolutely but I've always preferred - Jet Fuel to Invoices!-

Had a couple of offers for drill jobs,& one seismic all in the north. Other opportunities that included a 3 & 2 rotation and didn't involve a tent kept me away.

• Like 2