Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

2011 Fire Season

I don't know much about fighting fire as I'm pretty green to it however I did watch ASRD throw everything they had at the fire south west of town and subsequently move everything to the second fire South East for a day and half during winds of up to 100 km/h yesterday. The second fire that started within 5 miles of the townsite is what burnt half the townsite to the ground. Not sure about ignorant but there was no lack of effort from what I saw. Watching the town be incinerated from the air was very disturbing. Slave Lake is devastated and I think all of the residents respect the efforts of everyone involved.

I must add the efforts of everyone in Athabasca and all the surrounding commnunities has also been amazing. Good luck and many thanks to everyone still involved in this disaster.

GA

Stay safe up there, dude.

- Darren

I must add the efforts of everyone in Athabasca and all the surrounding commnunities has also been amazing. Good luck and many thanks to everyone still involved in this disaster.

GA

a friend of mine in athabasca has been up there helping the displaced families etc. she said she's never seen such a thing before, hopes to never again.

I havent been thru Slave L in years, but seeing some of the photo's of the destruction brings back the memories of the place. Its a sad situation, extremely costly, and I do wonder if it was preventable in some way. Big fires are not uncommon up there, neither is big winds from time to time. In hindsight, several firebreak rings/lines around town may have helped, but with winds like that, I'm not sure if it would have helped alot. Apart from being prepared as a homeowner, using a fire resistant roof material, and camping out with a sprinkler on your roof, you don't have much time to react.

We should be glad this is a rare occurance when both combine, we after all could face the yearly onslaught that California sees with their wildfires.

Good luck to those who need to rebuild, and fly safe everyone.

I'm sure the inquiry will answer most of the questions, should AFS be intelligent enough to have one. Even better, having knowledgeable people from other provinces on the board should help to answer a lot of questions. Perhaps the results will even drag AFS into the 21st century.

• Like 1

'MedMan,' your criticism may be well placed but the time for it is hardly while hundreds of people are risking their lives. The 'abject ignorance' you speak of is exactly what the comment displayed.

I've never been a fan of the Alberta Premier but he hit the nail on the head when he called it a 'perfect storm' of conditions to cause this disaster.

• Like 2

alright lets keep this on track....please don't let another thread on here spiral out of control due to a technicality on wording for Pete's sake. Sitting in a crew house drinking scotch straight from the bottle, reading vertical mag could be considered a risk. :punk: Or going out and fighting a fire could be considered a risk.

My thoughts and prayers with everyone displaced from this fire. As chopper guy said it's a disaster. Be safe out there everyone.

• Like 2

Thanks R22...well said.

Please keep the thread on track.

My thoughts go out to those who have lost their homes.

Be safe guys.

Mark

Edit : Medman, I have deleted your last post.

Your comments were in poor taste and served no purpose other than to rock the boat.

• Like 1

alright lets keep this on track....please don't let another thread on here spiral out of control due to a technicality on wording for Pete's sake. Sitting in a crew house drinking scotch straight from the bottle, reading vertical mag could be considered a risk. :punk: Or going out and fighting a fire could be considered a risk.

That's exactly what I was after, Robby jockey. And it's hard to imagine anyone considering that kind of insulting reference a "technicality on wording," let alone compare the risks associated with any wildfire activity to immature imbibing. If you have more than inanities to add, please PM me.