Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Time Minimums On Fire

>>> the whole thing is reviewed this fall <<<

It would be nice if there were some notes to include a time required to complete each module. If I started a module at 4, I'd like to know if would have to stay past 5 - you know, considering duty time limits and all.

I do recall a "we'll put it up there and see if anyone uses it" attitude at some point in time. Then, of course, it gets left "up there" just as it is with no consideration for time outs, continuing the next day, turning off the sound, flipping through the course at one's own pace, and all that other good stuff that makes for a concise and effective course.

I'm certain it will all be handled this fall. In fact, I'll look forward to seeing the results of the review when they're implemented on line - if anyone can be bothered.

>>> the whole thing is reviewed this fall <<<

It would be nice if there were some notes to include a time required to complete each module. If I started a module at 4, I'd like to know if would have to stay past 5 - you know, considering duty time limits and all.

I do recall a "we'll put it up there and see if anyone uses it" attitude at some point in time. Then, of course, it gets left "up there" just as it is with no consideration for time outs, continuing the next day, turning off the sound, flipping through the course at one's own pace, and all that other good stuff that makes for a concise and effective course.

I'm certain it will all be handled this fall. In fact, I'll look forward to seeing the results of the review when they're implemented on line - if anyone can be bothered.

Up at 7:00

Breakfast 8:00

Meeting 9:00

10:00 airborn

12:30 Lunch

Work till 4:30

Paperwok till 5:30

Dinnet at 7:00

In bed by 10:00

But what do I know Im just ....

For those interested in what goes on with the USFS when we fly for them.

1) Pilot flight hour computations shall begin at lif toff and end at touchdown and will be computed from the flight hour meter installed in the aircraft. All flight hours shall fall within duty hour limitations.

2) Flight time shall not exceed a total of 8-hours per day.

3) Pilots accumulating 36 or more flight hours in any 6-consecutive duty-days shall be off duty the next day. Flight time shall not exceed a total of 42-hours in any 6-consecutive days. After any 1-full off-duty day, pilots begin anew 6-consecutive day duty-period.

4). During any 14consecutive day period, each pilot shall have a minimum of two (2) full daysoff duty. Days off need not beconsecutive but are on a sliding scale. For example, if after two (2) consecutive days off the pilot is off two non-consecutive days in the next 14 day period, then the next 14 day periodmust be calculated from the first non-consecutive day off.

5) Assigned duty of any kind shall not exceed14-hours in any 24-hour period. Within any 24-hour period, pilots shall have a minimum of 10-consecutive hours offduty immediately prior to the beginning of any duty-day. Local travel up to amaximum of 30-minutes each way between the work site and place of lodging willnot be considered duty time. Whenone-way travel exceeds 30 minutes, the total travel time shall be considered aspart of the duty day.

6) Duty includes flight time, ground duty of any kind, and standby or alert status at any location.

7) During times ofprolonged heavy fire activity, the Government may issue a notice reducing thepilot duty-day/flight time and/or increasing off-duty days on a geographical oragency-wide basis.

8) Flights point-to-point (airport to airport, heliport to heliport, etc.) with a pilotand co-pilot shall be limited to 10-flight hours per day. (A helicopter that departs "Airport A," flies reconnaissance on a fire, and then flies to "Airport B," is notpoint-to-point).

9) Pilots may be relieved from duty for fatigue or other causes created by unusually strenuousor severe duty before reaching duty limitations.

10) When pilots act asa mechanic, mechanic duties in excess of 2-hours will apply as flight hours ona one-to-one basis toward flight hour limitations.

11) Relief,additional, or substitute pilots reporting for duty under this Contract shall furnish a record of all duty and all flight hours during the previous 14-days.

• Like 1