Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Heli Skiing

Gambler

I think the guys answered it all for you. Always, always leave the back door open as long as you can. Pay attention to the performance of your aircraft for that day.

There are thousands of scenarios you can be faced with, Always be thinking and never get to comfortable thats when it will bite you.

My biggest saving grace is when things don't feel right and things are'nt falling into place, say no or go somewhere else or go home.

If you are flying with other pilots respect each others decisions. Do not give into the pressure of the guests wining and complaining about how bad they want to ski and that you should be out there getting them some skiing.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gambler ------one final comment from me. Just to put ALL that you have been told into perspective, realize that you may one day want/wish for an a/c with a bunch more power or feel that 'mistakes' only happen to 'newbies'. If and when they day should ever arrive remember this: 214's have 'gone in' in the past on heli-skiing and so have 212's with some pilot's flying that had ten of thousands of hours and many decades in the busness. Don't wish to 'talk down to you' and that's not the intent, but just something to think about some day when you might be 'feeling your oats' a bit too much.....and we've all been "there". :rolleyes:

T-Rex, The Empire starts up a few operations on Dec 8th, so they are doing training/setup this week.

CHL (NG limited) is rumored to be training at GCHS on the 12th-16th, doing a bit of private skiing early, then starting up regular Ops on the 28th.

The other Red company (Tas-men) haven't showed up at PHS yet, but it will be any day now I'm sure. I see the guides goose-stepping around the parking lot with their hands stretched forward at 45 degrees :shock:

It looks like a great early season. haven't heard a word from the YRV boys.

CAP is correct, there's only 2 types of ski pilots, those who have bent, and those who will.... more power only means bigger loads and flying higher and further into a bad scene.

keep yer sticks on the Ice :unsure:

Gambler, there's golden advice from some of the best in the business above, but I'll add one personal perspective. Whenever I hear advice to keep an 'out' "AS LONG AS POSSIBLE" or "UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE" I cringe. For me, it's ALWAYS , I say again ALWAYS, yes that's ALWAYS, have an out - and that means right to the point where I'm groundspeed zero, skids level and touching down, flag on the right toe. If I don't have an 'out' to that point, I haven't looked hard enough for the right approach and landing in that area. If I can't overshoot, with reference, I haven't worked hard enough for the sweet spot. Two out of my three accidents, way back in my first 10 years, were from committing myself to situations without an 'out' right up to the end. Both bit me hard, too hard. 30-some years and thousands of hours later, my hard-earned rule remains hard and fast - no 'out' - NO GO! Work a little harder, but find the approach and the landing that give you an out ALL THE WAY. You may have to change for varying conditions, but so what?!? And enjoy the work, and the life, eh? B)

Thanks Downwash,

I was hoping for these kinds of responses, the kind that only years of experiences and thousands of hours can pass along to aspiring heliski drivers. I'll be sure to keep my dropoff/outs and make sure I have the best approach with the current conditions avaialble. Thanks again!

Gambler