Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bucketing Hazards

All good stuff....as much as these hazards and pitfalls come into play for a pilot....it is also a reminder for operators, management, and chief pilots too ensure flight crews are current, proficient and have the appropriate experience before being sent out too work.

I just went for my USFS check ride....it is a pilot evaluation that they do on a regular basis.

Perhaps not such a bad idea north of the border ......????

Agree with all the posts here, into current, wear a life vest... But more importantly go take an underwater egress course. What an eye opener. Getting out of a submerged upside down helicopter and knowing what to expect will give ya an clear advantage when/if it actually happens..

P5

... But more importantly go take an underwater egress course. What an eye opener. Getting out of a submerged upside down helicopter and knowing what to expect will give ya an clear advantage when/if it actually happens..

P5

Not that I would know, but I've spoken to a few pilots who have done this. And they said it takes two or three tries usually to get it right. You're all panicky the first go round. But you need to be calm and move deliberately.....but not necessarily at break neck speed. (And you use up your air less quickly too)

And when the real thing happens, you generally don't get a do-over.

I agree with half-filling the bucket if the ferry is more than a few minutes.

The bucket flies better, and it seems to be less stressful on its bladder etc.

Also, the helicopter seems to fly less nose-down, and maybe a little faster. These are always considerations at the end of a fuel cycle.

But remember that buckets and external loads place restrictions on the VNE.

I once (accidentally) released the water at bucket VNE, and though the bucket did come up, it wasn't a threat to anything, from what I could see.

(.....and I could see a lot because my eyes were WIDE open!!).

I know there are folks still wearing the 'marine-approved' models and, while I'm sure they're more than likely perfectly safe, the liability factor undoubtedly could come into play, and it's likely to be a loser if you're 'ramped,' too.

TJ,

I wear an "unapproved" horse collar because it is more practical (and available when I needed it at the time)than the "approved" ones we carry as per the CAR's.

TC can go pound sand because I have the "approved" vest in the bag, under the seat, reachable as required, BUT knowing full well that it won't go out the door with me and thereby won't get used! Couldn't even get it on in the pool - how are you going to do it for real???

I agree that the approved one would be the way to go, but feel that I am better protected with what I have, than the protection the 'legal' one will provide...

I always fly the bucket "better than" half full. Flies better, more stable, and who knows, you might find a smoke on the way home... :)

I wear an "unapproved" horse collar because it is more practical (and available when I needed it at the time)than the "approved" ones we carry as per the CAR's.

TC can go pound sand because I have the "approved" vest in the bag,

I agrees...

I use a mustang inflatable one for "Constant Wear" while the TC approved airline style garbage is somewhere...

Only thing one needs to be aware of with the inflatable ones, is to take out the 'salt pill' for self inflation, so that only YOU can inflate it, and not water as you become immersed. It is VERY difficult to get out AFTER it inflates.

Been on MANY a fire where I was the only one wearing the lifejacket, and lots of the medium guys scooping up water WAY out away from shore, but still no jacket on...

Great thread. Actually in class with some of the old Caaviation ones...

Cheers

H.

• Like 1