Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Asrd Suspending Companies?

I think what the ASRD, if its true, is the right thing. With the new HAC requirments being implemented in part of the country, hopefully all the provinced will catch on also. The skill level seems more relavent then any hour requirment! Why would anyone care how many hrs a pilot has, they should be more concerend about the job getting done efficently and safely. Also why should any customer pay top dollar and receive sub-standard performance from a pilot or machine!

Every compaines cp's and mangament should be well aware of there pilots and machines capabilities and should be held accountable!

Good on ASRD and HAC!

I agree Kilo Mike. I will get mis-interpreted on this one for sure, and probably get my head ripped off, but ime good with that. I always sort of wondered why, on fires in particular, we always seem to play this " nice pilot" stuff and cruise around at the slowest, lowest, skill set. Now I agree that there is professional airmanship and mutual respect in our business, and that as long as we are doing a good job and doing it safely and efficiently we can sleep at night. If you get a pilot that is more experienced and or skilled, lets say in the bucketing circuit, and can go faster and more efficiently, or maybe pack more water, should he or she not use those skills to the best of their ability for the customer? We certainly do for every other customer in the VFR utility market! I think what you dont want is the less skilled or experienced pilots trying to "keep up" if you will, with someone who has been, say, logging or moving drills all winter, and who is very efficient without abusing the machine. I learned quite quickly in the two crew environment (logging in my case) that pilots all have different skills, and I learned quite humbly that some are just plain better at certain things, all with different total hours. I think the skill based requirements are good as then there is a base line skill level that is expected by the customer that we are all expected to be able to achieve. They should be able to say that a particular pilot is not skilled enough and needs more training....In my humble opinion.

Geoff Reed

• Like 2

Interesting, I am sure some of you will remember, and maybe some of you were involved, but about 20 years ago the industry did try to do something similar.

CHC Edmonton, recognized that there was a problem with unskilled low time pilots, and they put out the call for the hiring of low time pilots.They chose around 25 of what they thought were the best candidates, and took them down to Penticton. I beleive they averaged about 50 hours of intense advanced training in the 206, plus ground schooling, and when they graduated, the company pegged their experience level at about 1000 to 1500 hours, even though their log books said 200-300. They were then sent to a variety of bases and even to the Edmonton pool, and I beleive all of them did do amazingly well.

The problem, if I remember right was some customers, like (AFS) would not hire them, as they did not meet the min. hour requirement. Either way, they eventually accumulated the hours and the rest is history.

My point, it,s not so much quantity, as quality, when it comes to the log book, with the low timers, and after all this time I for one am glad that some customers are finally seeing the light. :up:

Fly safe.

Are we talking about a company being held accountable for saying a pilot passed ASRD competencies and does not have the skills?

How on earth would they know? (ASRD) unless the guy was a total washout then it's criminal. Do you think ASRD actually administered the competencies test on the guy? Cause that's the only way they would know.

Really..think about it.

I would hope we have all spent enough time in the real world to think this through.

Max

Sounds a bit 'dog in the manger' to me, Max.

Experienced forestry managers are every bit as capable as you are in judging if a pilot is effective at filling a relay tank on a ridge or nailing ground-guided hot-spotting. Our company will NOT certify competencies that are not adequately and consistently demonstrated and I, like others on here, in the continued absence of a 'perfect world,' think this control method is, at the very least, a step in the right direction. If we can see effective ways to immprove it, my personal acquaintance with provincial folks tells me they're always open to listening, despite being handicapped by the bureaucratic anchor.

• Like 1

Sounds a bit 'dog in the manger' to me, Max.

Experienced forestry managers are every bit as capable as you are in judging if a pilot is effective at filling a relay tank on a ridge or nailing ground-guided hot-spotting. Our company will NOT certify competencies that are not adequately and consistently demonstrated and I, like others on here, in the continued absence of a 'perfect world,' think this control method is, at the very least, a step in the right direction. If we can see effective ways to immprove it, my personal acquaintance with provincial folks tells me they're always open to listening, despite being handicapped by the bureaucratic anchor.

I did say real world didn't I?..Just checking.

Max