B212 Engine Out Incident

Quick survey: how many medium engineers do a first-start leak check?

Before my retirement--ALWAYS!! Never fail to do a leak check, as well as dual inspections ALWAYS, ALWAYS. I cannot overstress it! And make sure the entry is entered in the log book and signed BEFORE that sucker leaves the ground no matter what! Always cover you arse!

Just remember that your so-called "Buddies" your Company and Transport will be the first ones to hang you out to dry if you screw up.

• Like 2

John- are you trying to tell me there are other helicopter sites out there besides Vertical Mag? Please say it ain't so! Jeez, what would MR say about that? :-)

Sorry to be the bearer of this news John. There are other sites, but they pale in comparison with MR's.

You guys just crack me up!! You get so effing involved in rules and regulations that none of you seem to see the real problem in the post. Who give a rats arse what rules it was working under? The thing you should be concerned about is how the frig can a fuel line on a 212 "inadvertently disconnect" If the line(s) are properly installed and check tightened in the first place in accordance with good maintenance practices how the H--l can it possibly "inadvertently disconnect"?? Sounds lika a big case of really crap maintenance on the part of the Enginneer and the operator to me. Who in Canada has 212's on rappel contracts with B.C.F.S. this year? Just curious.

Mr Splitpin, I am going to have to disagree with you. I happen to know the operator and the engineer involved in this incident and they are some of the most competent and proffesional people in ths industry. I feel that before we start making accusations we should consider that sometimes "sh*t happens". Im condfident in saying that if you look back on your years of being an aviator, you yourself can think of an incident where you "frigged up". Doesnt make you an incompetent pilot or engineer, sometimes "sh*t just happens".

• Like 2

You guys just crack me up!! You get so effing involved in rules and regulations that none of you seem to see the real problem in the post. Who give a rats arse what rules it was working under? The thing you should be concerned about is how the frig can a fuel line on a 212 "inadvertently disconnect" If the line(s) are properly installed and check tightened in the first place in accordance with good maintenance practices how the H--l can it possibly "inadvertently disconnect"?? Sounds lika a big case of really crap maintenance on the part of the Enginneer and the operator to me. Who in Canada has 212's on rappel contracts with B.C.F.S. this year? Just curious.

Interesting how we dont know exactly what happened but yet we tend to sit and criticize. Maybe it had nothing to do with "really crap maintenance" Lets give our fellow industry workers the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the **** thing broke....it is after all a machine with lots of bits and pieces doing their thing! I once had a air line break off on a 212.....yup broke off at the AFCU...was clamped proper, tight, lock wired etc...had nothing to do with crap maintenance.... just broke. I'me sure we have all had things happen.....but lets know the facts and maybe learn something from it....even IF some one had an oops....still something to learn.... so maybe it doesn't happen to any of the rest of us in the future......just sayin'

Geoff Reed

• Like 3

Mr Splitpin, I am going to have to disagree with you. I happen to know the operator and the engineer involved in this incident and they are some of the most competent and proffesional people in ths industry. I feel that before we start making accusations we should consider that sometimes "sh*t happens". Im condfident in saying that if you look back on your years of being an aviator, you yourself can think of an incident where you "frigged up". Doesnt make you an incompetent pilot or engineer, sometimes "sh*t just happens".

Hang on a sec. here Bucko. A fuel line "inadvertently disconnects", the engine quits, there is a forced landing, and you claim the person(s) involved are "competent and professional"?? WTF-over.

I will never accept the excuse that "Shyte Happens" in this business. That's a copout for not doing your job!! We seem to use that excuse more and more. There is ALWAYS a reason for an accident or incident if you dig back far enough. If your buddies had followed proper maintenance procedures and guidelines then "Shyte would not have happened" No exuses for not doing your job Bucko. Follow the book to the letter and "Shyte will not happen" to you!!

BTW, I am not an "Aviator". I am a Licenced Canadian Aircraft Maintenance Engineer. I have recently retired after 50 years in the business. I hold M1/2 and have worked on everything from Bell 47-D1 to Sikorskys. Fixed wing from Cessna 120 to Boeing 737/727. I have worked all over the world including 11 years in South, West, and North Africa. I am proud to say that I have never had an aircraft crash or quit on me and most importantly my Pilots have always come home at the end of the day. It goes without saying that I "Follow the book"

Pay attention to the job at hand, stay focused, and don't get distracted by that frikken cell phone, follow the book and all will be well.

• Like 4

I once had a air line break off on a 212.....yup broke off at the AFCU...was clamped proper, tight, lock wired etc...had nothing to do with crap maintenance.... just broke.

Geoff Reed

I have seen the same thing. It broke right at the ferrul, right? I was caused by misalighnment of the line on installation causing prestress on the line thereby almost guaranteeing breakage in the near future.