Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Probably A First For The R66

I would apologize for the thread creep but I think that ship has long sailed.

Just an observation, and feel free to disagree, but I have found over the years that

our business has a rather interesting side to it. That is, anyone that has experience on

a particular machine and knows it well invariably speaks well of it. They know it's limitations, and as Zasu has said, if they fly it and maintain it properly it will always

work as advertised with few exceptions. There are always those that, even though they are not familiar with an aircraft, no matter what type it is, often proclaim it to be "junk" or a "POS" blah blah blah blah.

On a number of occassions in the past I would usually say to such people when the discussions

came up that if they had never operated, flown, or maintained the machine then I guess their

opinion "would count for SFA then wouldn't it?" I may have mellowed a little with age so if

someone goes on a bit of a trash session now I just ask what they found didn't work for them

on that aircraft.

Do you think the Trucking or Boating industries are the same? Probably yes.

Rigidhead

• Like 3

Do you think the Trucking or Boating industries are the same? Probably yes.

Rigidhead

100%.......and ANYTHING really. HOw many Calvin-peeing-on-a-Ford-logo stickers have you seen? "If it's not Boeing, then I'm not going!"

Intense mountain bikes are way better than Santa Cruz mountain bikes....Fender guitars are better than Gibson guitars

When you come right down to it, it's all hooey....that's right...I said it.... HOOEY (of course the profanity filter here will likely censor it)

It is a poor musician who blames his instrument.

As I said earlier (speaking as someone who DOES in fact know a little something about the design and certification of aircraft), Robinsons were certified to that same standards as everyone else....as were their maintenance manuals, flight manuals etc etc etc. Will some bits be more fragile on a Robinson than other aircraft? Sure. And I'm sure the opposite is true for different bits.

As stated previously, R-xx aircraft are very "accessible" aircraft....so lots of stupid people can get their hands on them. And I'm sure many inexperienced pilots get themselves in over their heads....something less likely to happen in say, a several million dollar 407....nothing to do with the aircraft itself, other than the pricetag.....and as a result, the sheer population.

As I said, Airborne seems to be doing ok with them, no? Lots of them....decent pilots, machines are taken care of?

A honda civic driven by a responsible grown-up will last many years. The same honda civic given to a 19 year-old.....who lowers it, puts a body kit on it, tints the windows, a giant stereo and a fart can, and then drives like an a-hole...he may soon come to meet a telephone pole. And that ain't Honda's fault.

• Like 4

I fly and maintain an R44 commercially - we fly it over 100hrs a month and (knock on wood) are Never grounded due to unscheduled maintenance! I too was a little skeptical at first but after 1000hrs on type it still does not fail to impress me.

And being flown within its limits and not abused goes a long way....

• Like 2

So I guess that based on this logic, I should also hate Cessna's?

Wow, how can so many companies make so much money being wrong all the time?

In the commercial market, an up and coming pilot will learn skills from a 22 and a 44 that they will have for the rest of their careers. I'm still using techniques I learned in a 44, 12 years ago, in a 212 today.

• Like 2

Guest jacdor

So I guess that based on this logic, I should also hate Cessna's?

Wow, how can so many companies make so much money being wrong all the time?

In the commercial market, an up and coming pilot will learn skills from a 22 and a 44 that they will have for the rest of their careers. I'm still using techniques I learned in a 44, 12 years ago, in a 212 today.

Robinson helicopters, and I mean all of them are pieces of S H I T and deathtraps. I think Frank should be charged with manslauter!

rob

Quit beating around the bush and say what you really mean.

BTW. I have been around helicopters for a few years and I agree with you 1000%.

How could anything with the rotor system inertia of a paper clip ever get certified is beyond me.

• Like 1

Guest jacdor

Never fly an A model of anything........

Ill wait for the R66 astro super two-12/ 2.5 With the dash 21-14a bc / super +++ 0.5 engine. withe ozzie mod and a lift kit.......

:up: :D

JD