Probably A First For The R66

Until some of the multi-seat birds have enough fatalities (which they probably never will) the Robbie will probably retain the greatest fatal accident, per capita, of the helicopter world.

Yes, lots of people with sufficient experience fly them in relative safety, but it's the private types and low-timers that have paid the ultimate price in these machines.

Also, it's easy enough to state that Frank's birds are certified to the same general standards as any other U.S. helicopters, but I think you'd find they weren't certified by the same folks or, necessarily, out of the same office.

Some good operators have flown them and given them up, replacing them with machines they were much happier with. Caveat emptor, especially if your're going to strap it to your behind. B)

Until some of the multi-seat birds have enough fatalities (which they probably never will) the Robbie will probably retain the greatest fatal accident, per capita, of the helicopter world.

Yes, lots of people with sufficient experience fly them in relative safety, but it's the private types and low-timers that have paid the ultimate price in these machines.

Also, it's easy enough to state that Frank's birds are certified to the same general standards as any other U.S. helicopters, but I think you'd find they weren't certified by the same folks or, necessarily, out of the same office.

Some good operators have flown them and given them up, replacing them with machines they were much happier with. Caveat emptor, especially if your're going to strap it to your behind. B)

Totally agree!

BTW love the new Avitar total resemblance.

P5

Um I respectfully disagree. Certifying an entire aircraft is not like getting an STC approved. It's not like one guy is feeling generous one day so he'll let something slide. Granting a type certificate passes through many hands at the authorities. If something ain't cool, pretty sure someone will say something.

Not to mention, once the FAA has approved the aircraft, then Transport will pore over it....as will EASA etc...and they have approved the aircraft too. So it's not at the whim of a guy or an office. (Which I acknowledge CAN be the case for an STC)....but for an actual type certificate.....I don't think so.

So when they leave Robinson, I'm pretty certain they are all good (from a design/cert perspective). But how long they stay in the condition...and how difficult or easy it may be to KEEP them in that condition......well I can't comment.

• Like 3

However something did just occur to me....

Now that the FAA (among others) is delegating an increasing amount of authority to the companies themselves (DER's, DAR's) There DOES exist the potential for stuff to slip through.(this assumes though that company delegates are unscrupulous, or incompetent or both.

But when the R-44 was first approved, that wasn't really the case. It's only bee in the past few years where the LOI (level of involvement) has changed. Authorities where much more hands-on when the R-44 was approved.

The R66 however.....well that could be somewhat different.

• Like 4

Um I respectfully disagree. Certifying an entire aircraft is not like getting an STC approved. It's not like one guy is feeling generous one day so he'll let something slide. Granting a type certificate passes through many hands at the authorities. If something ain't cool, pretty sure someone will say something.

Not to mention, once the FAA has approved the aircraft, then Transport will pore over it....as will EASA etc...and they have approved the aircraft too. So it's not at the whim of a guy or an office. (Which I acknowledge CAN be the case for an STC)....but for an actual type certificate.....I don't think so.

So when they leave Robinson, I'm pretty certain they are all good (from a design/cert perspective). But how long they stay in the condition...and how difficult or easy it may be to KEEP them in that condition......well I can't comment.

You may disagree all you like, Mike, but it won't change the fact that the Robbies were granted type certificates with a known set of defects that rendered the types demanding of considerably higher than normal flying skills for most ab initio students and a substantial proportion of low-time private helicopter pilots. If you're not personally familiar with the type, the statistics alone should provide the least prudent with sufficient cause for concern.

• Like 1