Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Probably A First For The R66

I'm also curious. Not stirring the pot here, my curiosity is genuine. All I've flown are R22s and R44s (aside from one flight in a 206L3), and chances are I'll be flying one again someday, so the more I learn about the machines and their known issues, the more tools I should have at my disposal to deal with those issues. Might save my butt one day. :clue:

- Darren

The know defects Transport Canada referrers to is the large pool of so called "professional" pilots, or as TC has dubbed "meat servo's" . Many of which are found here. As is evident in this thread, it's a recurring defect, but not at a particular power setting, airspeed, weight or altitude. The only communality between defective meat servos was when a keyboard and rum was placed infront of certain meat servo's, they turned defective. TC was hoping that while these particular meat servo's did not have said keyboard and rum, they'd operate as a serviceable item with a cyclic and coffee. Unfortunately several servo's were found to be defective no matter what combination of cyclic, coffee, smoke, rum, keyboard etc.

So they decided that due to the inconsistencies in meat servo failures, and not mechanic failure, they would approve the type with these "known meat servo defects"

the downward spiral continues.

• Like 4

Defects? Like mast bump? (like old UH-1s)

I still maintain that the FAA/Transport Canada/ EASA flight test PILOTS seemed ok with them.

I typed some other stuff but I deleted it. I really don't care that much..............

You'd probably care if your son, brother, father or such, as a low-time pilot with a private licence, either had an engine failure or got himeself into an overpitched condition that he wasn't either trained enough or current enough to deal with effectively, both of which have been the source of many fatal 'accidents' because the critical response time is just too brief for a less-skilled pilot to identify the problem and take the necessarily immediate corrective action.

Of course FAA/Transport Canada/EASA flight test PILOTS were "OK with them." They had beaucoup knowledge and skills to cope, but probably few, if any, of them were instructors, tuned to the volume of lesser-endowed pilot candidates, far too many of whom are granted licences when they're at best, marginally safe..

Do some research, Mike, and find the truth for yourself. I'm sure you've noted that several experienced pilots on here have commented about these negative aspects.

You'd probably care if your son, brother, father or such, as a low-time pilot with a private licence, either had an engine failure or got himeself into an overpitched condition that he wasn't either trained enough or current enough to deal with effectively, both of which have been the source of many fatal 'accidents' because the critical response time is just too brief for a less-skilled pilot to identify the problem and take the necessarily immediate corrective action.

Of course FAA/Transport Canada/EASA flight test PILOTS were "OK with them." They had beaucoup knowledge and skills to cope, but probably few, if any, of them were instructors, tuned to the volume of lesser-endowed pilot candidates, far too many of whom are granted licences when they're at best, marginally safe..

Do some research, Mike, and find the truth for yourself. I'm sure you've noted that several experienced pilots on here have commented about these negative aspects.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said. However how is any of it Robinson's fault? I totally acknowledge that low-timers have easy access to the machines. So they get in over their head. But they could just as easily get piled up in a different machine. It's just that the Robinson is extremely accessible. But does Airborne deal with chronic engine failure? (I'm actually asking....I don't know the answer)

There appear to be some other experienced people here who are flirting with agreement with me as well.

The Robinson is the Honda Civic. A 407 is the BMW M5.....I'm not saying the R-44 is "as good as". I just think that calling it unilaterally unsafe is not terribly accurate.

(edit:and I only have two daughters)

• Like 2

The point everyone is trying to make is that the Robinson is a an entry level helicopter for people with deeper than normal pockets. If other manufactures had a product line of similar value, I think you would see the same issues arise with them as well.

And really lets put it into perspective, flying a helicopter has a certain amount of risk involved, and just because you have enough money to afford a helicopter, doesn't me you should be in one. A private pilot license is 60hr???? A helicopter is not an easy/forgivable platform to fly in the first place. Not really a great place for someone with 60hrs, minimal skill,recurrent training, supervision and understanding of helicopter flight.

49 merc

• Like 3