Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Viih & Wildcat Rumours

Thanks, Harmonic, for the considered and thoughtful reply to my post. Next time I need to formulate an opinion during my next ten years working on Bell mediums, I'll call you first.

Since the point of the post was that the 412 has typically underperformed versus a 212, why would Wildcat go and buy a bunch? Since the owners of Wildcat seem to be pretty switched-on at finding niches to get their machines hired into, perhaps they have some knowledge of the capacities of the aircraft that might overcome the break-even-at-best useful load, and sub-par performance. Or maybe they're sending them international to some faraway place where nobody knows about 212s, or 205s (+, ++, or otherwise), or maybe even fire.

Maybe we'll just have to see what they do next?

DB: Edited to remove extra snark.

• Like 2

A lot of airframes differences between them to any converting. 412 (later models) have better driveshafting* thomas coupling type, more fuel load* ten tanks, horizontal stab not linked to the swashplate, major cowling differences* pain in the @ss. The head improvements have come a long ways. Been six years since I looked at one though.

Having flown the 412 on hot high altitude operations,if you get above 4000ft 24c it is overpriced junk.Dosent matter how much power you put thru the tranny those pathetic little blades dont produce in thinner air.Unless bell make parts really cheap and readily availible it will never succeed in the utility market.It is too

maintainace intensive.

Other than VIHs DOM planning a move to Wildcat, I think we will be just fine here at VIH. Thats the word on the street and at staging. Time will tell.

Heard that VIH moved, in addition to the mediums this spring, a couple of ASTARS onto the N registry recently and the 135.

Is this Northern Mountain all over again...????? Should I be concerned about my job?

Heard Wildcat have bought 4 x 412's, ex presidential machines with one coming online very soon and the others next year.....maybe.....A good source that has seen these machines says they are in need of some good old TLC or at least some new paint!

Is this the end of a era for 212's in Canada with the introduction of 412's for VFR fire work?

:up:

Having flown the 412 on hot high altitude operations,if you get above 4000ft 24c it is overpriced junk.Dosent matter how much power you put thru the tranny those pathetic little blades dont produce in thinner air.

Hey, Mac, what model did you fly? Did it have the FastFin?

Edit: Bad spelling (and on a one-line question yet).